Wide Spectrum Biological Activity of Lemon Peel: A Review
- 1Research scholar govt arts and science college, Ratlam M.P., India
- 2Govt Arts and Science College, Ratlam, MP, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, Govt. Arts and Science College, Ratlam, MP, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 11, Issue (3), Pages 25-28, July,2 (2022)
Medicinal plants have always attracted a lot of interest in the scientific community with a prime focus towards the extraction, isolation, identification and study of antimicrobial compounds and various types of secondary metabolites. The peel of Citrus lemon has been found most effective against different food spoiled bacteria and fungus. The lemon peel extracts are a rich source of many polymethoxylated flavones and flavanones. The lemon is also rich source of ‘vitamin c’. Many phytochemical studies have demonstrated that compounds present in the peel extract play multiple roles in physiology hence making them important from the ecologically important. Also, the flavonoids reported in the extracts of lemon peel have antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, antidiabetic and anticancer activities which make them commercially important and applicable in pharma and food industries.
- Sadat S, Janati, F and Beheshti H.R (2012)., Chemical Composition of Lemon (Citrus Limon) and Peels Its considerations as animal food (in English)., GIDA, 37(5), 267–27.
- Dhanavade M.J, Jalkute, C.B, Ghosh J.S, and Sonawane K.D (2011)., Study Antimicrobial Activity of Lemon (Citrus lemon L. Peel Extract study., Br. J. Pharmacol. Toxicol, 2(3).
- Mohanapriya M, Ramaswamy L and Rajendran R (2013)., Health and Medicinal Properties of Lemon (Citrus limonum)., International Journal of Ayurvedic and Herbal Medicine, 3(1), 1095-100.
- Kawaii, S., Tomono, Y., Katase, E., Ogawa, K., Yano, M., Koizumi, M., ... & Furukawa, H. (2000)., Quantitative study of flavonoids in leaves of Citrus plants., Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 48(9), 3865-3871.
- Keleş, O., Ak, S., Bakirel, T., & Alpinar, K. (2001)., Screening of some Turkish plants for antibacterial activity., Turkish Journal of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, 25(4), 559-565.
- Lario, Y.; E. Sendra; J. Garica-Perez; C. Fuentes; E. Sayas-Barbera; J. Fermandez-Lopez and J. A. Perez-Alvrez. (2004)., Preparation of high dietary fiber powder fromlemon juice by products., Innov. Food Sci. Emerg. Technol., 5, 113-117.
- Camacho-Corona MR, Ramírez-Cabrer MA, Santiago OG, -Gonzázlez EG, Palacios IP and Herrera JL (2008)., Activity against drug resistant tuberculosis strains of plants used in Mexican traditional medicine to treat tuberculosis and other respiratory diseases.,
- Boshtam M, Moshtaghain J, Naderi G, Asgery S and Nayeri H (2011)., Antioxidant effects of Citrus aurantifolia (Christm) juice and peel extract on LDL oxidation., J Res Med Sci., 16(7), 951–955.
- Barakatullah; Ibrar M; Rauf A and Rahman I (2012)., Physicochemical characterization of essential and fixed oils of Skimmialaureola and Zanthoxylumarmatum., Middle-East J. of Medicinal plants Research, 1, 51-58.
- Cho H. J. et al. (2012)., Short Vegetative Phase (SVP) protein negatively regulates miR172 transcription via direct binding to the pri-miR172a promoter in Arabidopsis., FEBS Lett., 586(16), 2332–2337.
- Hindi, N. K. K., and Chabuck, Z. A. G. (2013)., Antimicrobial activity of different aqueous lemon extracts., Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 3(6), 74.
- Najimu Nisha S. et al. (2014)., Lemon peels mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its antidermatophytic activity., Spectrochim. Acta - Part A Mol. Biomol. Spectrosc.
- Halima-Mansour S and Allem, R (2016)., Evaluation of antimicrobial activity of Algerian Lemon (Citrus limon v. Eureka) peels and juice extracts.,
- Kumari, S., Siddique, F. M. S., Gupta, S. D., and Baruah, A. (2016)., Antimicrobial property of different parts of Citrus Limon., IOSR Journal of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, 2(2), 53-55.
- B. Sridharan, S. T. Michael, R. Arya, S. Mohana Roopan, R. N. Ganesh and P. Viswanathan (2016). Beneficial effect of Citrus limon peel aqueousmethanol extract on experimentally induced urolithic rats., Pharm. Biol., 54(5), 759–769., undefined, undefined
- Saeb, S., Amin, M., Gooybari, R. S., and Aghel, N. (2016)., Evaluation of antibacterial activities of Citrus Limon, Citrus reticulata, and Citrus grandis against pathogenic bacteria., International Journal of Enteric Pathogens, 4(4), 3-37103.
- Shetty, S. B., Mahin-Syed-Ismail, P., Varghese, S., Thomas-George, B., Kandathil-Thajuraj, P., Baby, D., and Devang-Divakar, D. (2016); Antimicrobial effects of Citrus sinensis peel extracts against dental caries bacteria: An in vitro study. Journal of clinical and experimental dentistry, 8(1), 71., undefined, undefined
- John, S., Monica, S. J., Priyadarshini, S., Sivaraj, C., and Arumugam, P. (2017); Antioxidant and antimicrobial efficacy of lemon (Citrus limonumL.) Peel., undefined, undefined
- Henderson v, Squires T, Storeyguard A, and Weil D (2018); The global distribution of economic activity; Nature, history and role of trade., undefined, undefined
- P. Yashaswini and Arvind (2018)., Antimicrobial properties of orange (Citrus reticulata var. kinnow) peel extracts against pathogenic bacteria., International journal of current microbiology and applied sciences, 7(3).
- Irfan S, Modassar M, Mahmood M, Saeed W and Qamrosh M (2019)., Lemon peel: a natural medicine., International journal of biotechnology and allied field.
- Roop M, Chawla R and Mirza A (2020)., International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences., 9.
- Jafari B, Ebadi A, Mohammadiaghdam B, and Hassanzade Z, (2013)., Effects of antibacterial activities methanol of extract and lemon grass essence on pathogenic bacteria., World Appl. Sci. J., 28(11), 1796–1801.
- Joanne Slavin (2013)., Department of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota Fiber and Prebiotics: Mechanisms and Health Benefits., Nutrients, 5, 1417-1435.
- Palma C, Contreras E, Urra J and Martínez M.J (2011), Eco-friendly technologies based on banana peel use for the decolourization of the dyeing process wastewater., Waste and Biomass Valorization, 2(1), 77–86.
- Shafeeqa Irfan, Muhammad Modassar Ali Nawaz Ranjha, Shahid Mahmood, Wajiha Saeed and Muhammad Qamrosh Alam (2019)., Lemon Peel: A Natural Medicine., International journal of Biotechnology and allied field, 7(10), 185-194.
- Burt S (2004)., Essential oils: Their antibacterial properties and potential applications in foods - A review., International Journal of Food Microbiology, 94(3). 223–253.