Extraction of KHCO3 from Microporous Polyamide 6-Pellets using Batch and Single-Stage Continuous Process
- 1Department of Chemical Engineering, College of Engineering, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (2), Pages 45-50, February,18 (2016)
The extraction of KHCO3 from microporous polyamide 6-pellets feed containing potassium bicarbonate has been investigated an experimentally. The batch and single-stage continuous processes are used for comparing the extraction efficiency. High purity distilled water has been used as solvent for the extraction of KHCO3. Experiments were conducted at solvent temperature of 45oC and solvent flow rate was adjusted to 110 ml/min. Conductivity of miscella for batch extraction decreased drastically with processing time and finally reduced to zero. Almost complete removal of solute (%wt KHCO3) from the porous feed containing KHCO3 was achieved after a processing time of about 22 minutes in case of batch extraction. In case of single-stage continuous extraction conductivity of solute in miscella decreased gradually and then attained almost steady-state value during single-run period. Lesser removal of solute KHCO3 was noticed during continuous extraction. It was inferred that batch extractor performed better compared with single-stage continuous extractor. Results obtained may be used to suggest the more suitable extraction process either batch or continuous which may be more suitable for a specific application.
- Christie J. Geankoplis (1999), Transport Processes andUnit Operations, 3rd Edition, Printice-Hall of India, NewDelhi. ISBN: 81-203-1134-5
- Seader J.D. and Henley E.J. (1998), Separation ProcessPrinciples, 2nd Edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., NJ.,U.S.A.
- Warren L.McCabe, Julian C.Smith and Peter Harriott(1985), Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering, 4thEdition, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Singapore, pp529-530.ISBN 0-07-66431-5
- J.M. Coulson, J.F.Richardson, J.R. Backhurst and J.H.Harker (1978), Chemical Engineering-Unit Operations, 3rd Edition, Pergamon Press, United Kingdom. ISBN:0-08-018090-6
- RobertE.Treybal (1981), Mass-Transfer Operations, 3rdEdition, McGraw-Hill International Editions, Singopore, ISBN:0-07-065176-0.
- Poirot R., Prat L., Gourdon C., Diard C., Autre J.M.(2007), Optimization of Batch to Continuoustransportation: Solid-Liquid Extraction from Plant in anIndustrial Contactor, Proceedings of European Congressof Chemical Engineering (ECCE-6), Copenhagen, 16th-20thSemptember.
- Jokic S., Vekic D., Bilic M., Bucic-Kojic A., Planinic M.and Tomas S. (2010), Modeling of the Process of SolidLiquidExtraction of Total Polyphenols from Soybeans, Czech J. Food Sci., 28(3), 206-212.
- Dusan D.P., Snezana S.M., Danijela A.K., Milan N.M.,Branka T.S. and Jovna L.P.(2014), Kinetics andThermodynamics of the Solid-Liquid Extraction Processof total polyphenols from Barley, Advance Technologies,3(2), 58-63.