TMSI-mediated Prins-type Reaction of Epoxides with Homoallylic Alcohols: Synthesis of Iodo-Substituted Tetrahydropyrans
- 1Custom Pharmaceutical Services, Dr Reddy\'s Laboratories Limited, Bollaram Road, Miyapur, Hyderabad, 500049, India and Department of Organic Chemistry, Foods, Drugs and Water, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, 530003, India
- 2Ragas Pharmaceuticals Private Limited (OPC), IDA Cherlapally, Hyderabad, 500051, India
- 3Custom Pharmaceutical Services, Dr Reddy\'s Laboratories Limited, Bollaram Road, Miyapur, Hyderabad, 500049, India
- 4Department of Organic Chemistry, Foods, Drugs and Water, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, 530003, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 48-50, October,18 (2016)
The cyclization of epoxides with homoallylic alcohols in the presence of Trimethylsilyliodide generates the 4-iodo-tetrahydropyran derivatives in excellent yield.
- Clarke P.A. and Santos S. (2006)., Strategies for the Formation of Tetrahydropyran Rings in the Synthesis of Natural Products., Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2006 (9), 2045-2053.
- Miranda P.O., Carballo R.M., Martín V.S. and Padrón J.I. (2009)., A New Catalytic Prins Cyclization Leading to Oxa- and Azacycles., Org. Lett., 11(2), 357-360.
- Liu F. and Loh T.P. (2007)., Highly Stereoselective Prins Cyclization of (Z)- and (E)-γ-Brominated Homoallylic Alcohols to 2,4,5,6-Tetrasubstituted Tetrahydropyrans., Org. Lett., 9(11), 2063-2066.
- Hu X.H., Liu F. and Loh T.P. (2009)., Stereoelectronic versus Steric Tuning in the Prins Cyclization Reaction: Synthesis of 2,6-trans Pyranyl Motifs., Org. Lett., 11(8), 1741-1743.
- Meilert K. and Brimble M.A. (2005)., Synthesis of the Bis-spiroacetal Moiety of Spirolides B and D., Org. Lett., 7(16), 3497-3500.
- Dziedzic M. and Furman B. (2008)., An efficient approach to the stereoselective synthesis of 2,6-disubstituted dihydropyrans via stannyl-Prins cyclization., Tetrahedron Lett., 49(4), 678-681.
- Lian Y. and Hinkle R.J. (2006)., BiBr3-Initiated Tandem Addition/Silyl-Prins Reactions to 2,6-Disubstituted Dihydropyrans., J. Org. Chem., 71(18), 7071-7074.
- Miranda P.O., Díaz D.D., Padrón J.I., Ramírez M.A. and Martín V. S. (2005)., Fe (III) Halides as Effective Catalysts in Carbon−Carbon Bond Formation: Synthesis of 1,5-Dihalo-1,4-dienes, α,β-Unsaturated Ketones, and Cyclic Ethers., J. Org. Chem., 70(1), 57-62.
- Miranda P.O., Ramírez M.A., Martín V.S. and Padrón J.I. (2006)., The Silylalkyne-Prins Cyclization: Stereoselective Synthesis of Tetra- and Pentasubstituted Halodihydropyrans., Org. Lett., 8(8), 1633-1636.
- Dobbs A.P., Parker R.J. and Skidmore J. (2008)., Rapid access to CF3-containing heterocycles., Tetrahedron Lett., 49 (5), 827-831.
- Overman L.E. and Velthuisen E.J. (2006)., Scope and Facial Selectivity of the Prins-Pinacol Synthesis of Attached Rings., J. Org. Chem., 71(4), 1581-1587.
- Jasti R., Anderson C.D. and Rychnovsky S.D. (2005)., Utilization of an Oxonia-Cope Rearrangement as a Mechanistic Probe for Prins Cyclizations., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 127(27), 9939-9945.
- Jasti R. and Rychnovsky S.D. (2006)., Racemization in Prins Cyclization Reactions., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 128(41), 13640-13648.
- Arundale E. and Mikeska L.A. (1952)., The Olefin-Aldehyde Condensation. The Prins Reaction., Chem. Rev., 51(3), 505-555.
- Adams D.R. and Bhatnagar S.P. (1977)., The Prins Reaction., Synthesis, 10, 661-672.
- Trost B.M., Fleming I. and Heathcock C.H. (1991)., In The Prins Reaction and Carbonyl Ene Reactions., Pergamon Press, New York, 527-561.
- Overman L.E. and Pennington L.D. (2003)., Strategic Use of Pinacol-Terminated Prins Cyclizations in Target-Oriented Total Synthesis., J. Org. Chem., 68 (19), 7143-7157.
- Pastor I. M. and Yus M. (2007)., The Prins Reaction: Advances and Applications., Curr. Org. Chem., 11 (10), 925-957.
- Dobbs A.P., Guesné S.J.J., Martinović S., Coles S.J. and Hursthouse M.B. (2003)., A Versatile Indium Trichloride Mediated Prins-Type Reaction to Unsaturated Heterocycles., J. Org. Chem., 68(20), 7880-7883.
- Dobbs A.P., Guesné S.J.J., Parker R.J., Skidmore J., Stephenson R.A. and Hursthouse M.B. (2010)., A detailed investigation of the aza-Prins reaction., Org. Biomol. Chem., 5(8), 1064-1080.
- Murty M.S.R., Rajasekhar K., Harikrishna V. and Yadav J.S. (2008)., Bismuth Triflate Catalyzed Prins-Type Cyclization in Ionic Liquid: Synthesis of 4-Tetrahydropyranol Derivatives., Heteroatom Chemistry, 19(1), 104-106.
- Murty M.S.R., Rajasekhar K. and Yadav J.S. (2006)., ZrCl4 mediated cyclization between epoxides and homopropargylic alcohols: synthesis of 4-chloro-5,6-dihydro-2H-pyran derivatives., Tetrahedron Lett., 47 (34), 6149-6151.
- Yadav J.S., Subba Reddy B.V., Ramesh K., Narayana Kumar G.G.K.S. and René Grée. (2010)., An expeditious synthesis of 4-fluoropiperidines via aza-Prins cyclization., Tetrahedron Lett., 51 (12), 1578-1581.
- Chavre S.N., Choo H., Lee J.K., Pae A.N., Kim Y. and Cho Y.S. (2008)., 5- and 6-Exocyclic Products, cis-2,3,5-Trisubstituted Tetrahydrofurans, and cis-2,3,6-Trisubstituted Tetrahydropyrans via Prins-Type Cyclization., J. Org. Chem., 73(19), 7467-7471.
- Tian G.-Q. and Shi M. (2007)., Brønsted Acid-Mediated Stereoselective Cascade Construction of Functionalized Tetrahydropyrans from 2-(Arylmethylene) cyclopropylcarbinols and Aldehydes., Org. Lett., 9(12), 2405-2408.
- Jianke Li. and Chao-Jun Li. (2001)., Synthesis of tetrahydropyran derivatives via a novel indium trichloride mediated cross-cyclization between epoxides and homoallyl alcohols., Tetrahedron Lett., 42(5), 793-796.
- Murty M.S.R., Rajasekhar K. and Yadav J.S. (2005)., ZrCl4 mediated cross-cyclization between epoxides and homoallylic alcohols: synthesis of 4-chlorotetrahydropyran derivatives., Tetrahedron Lett., 46(13), 2311–2314.
- Murty M.S.R., Rajasekhar K. and Yadav J.S. (2005)., Mild and Efficient Method for the Synthesis of Tetrahydropyran Derivatives via Cross-Cyclization between Epoxides and Homoallylic Alcohols Mediated by Bismuth(III) Chloride., Synlett., 12, 1945-1947.
- Sabitha Gowravaram, Bhaskar Reddy K., Bhikshapathi M. and Yadav J.S. (2006)., TMSI mediated Prins-type cyclization of ketones with homoallylic and homopropargylic alcohol: synthesis of 2,2-disubstituted-, spirocyclic-4-iodo-tetrahydropyrans and 5,6-dihydro-2H-pyrans., Tetrahedron Lett., 47(16), 2807-2810.
- Ollevier T. and Lavie-Compin G. (2004)., Bismuth triflate-catalyzed mild and efficient epoxide opening by aromatic amines under aqueous conditions., Tetrahedron Lett., 45(1), 49-52.
- Baltork M. and Aliyan H. (1998)., Bismuth(III) Chloride; A Mild and Efficient Catalyst for Synthesis of Thiiranes from Oxiranes., Synth. Commun., 28(21), 3943-3948.
- Baltork M., Tangestaninejad S., Aliyan H. and Mirkhani V. (2000)., Bismuth (III) Chloride (BiCl3); An Efficient Catalyst for Mild, Regio- and Stereoselective Cleavage of Epoxides with Alcohols, Acetic Acid and Water., Synth. Commun., 30(13), 2365-2374.
- Baltork M., Khosropour A.R. and Aliyan H. (2001)., Efficient conversion of epoxides to 1,3-dioxolanes catalyzed by Bismuth (III) salts., Synth. Commun., 31(22), 3411-3416.
- Swamy N.R., Kondaji G. and Nagaiah K. (2002)., Bi3+ Catalyzed Regioselective ring opening of epoxides with aromatic amines., Synth. Commun., 32(15), 2307-2312.
- Ollevier T. and Lavie-Compin G. (2002)., An efficient method for the ring opening of epoxides with aromatic amines catalyzed by bismuth trichloride., Tetrahedron Lett., 43(44), 7891-7893.
- Paquette L.A. and Barrett J.H. (1969)., 2,7-Dimethyloxepin., Org. Synth., 49, 62.
- Madhukar J. and Nagavani S. (2010)., Iodine mediated mild and efficient method for the synthesis of tatrahydropyrans via cross-cyclization between epoxides and homoallylic alcohols., Orient. J. Chem., 26(3), 1151-1154.