Inhibitive action of some natural products on the corrosion of mild steel in NaCl and Sea water solution-An overview
- 1Chemistry Department, Navyug Science College, Rander Road, Surat, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 13, Issue (1), Pages 60-64, February,18 (2023)
Corrosion can be defined as a phenomenon of physico-chemical interaction of a metal and its environment, inducing degradation of the metal itself. A study of corrosion of Mild steel (MS) and it’s inhibition was carried out by using weight loss (WL), temperature effect, polarization and EIS methods. Natural products were used as inhibitors to controlled or minimized the corrosion as they are cheap, non-toxic and eco-friendly. Adsorptions of various phytochemicals present in natural products extract on metal surface obey different types of adsorption isotherms. Morphology of film produced on metal surface was carried out by different techniques like, SEM, GC–MS, Fourier-Transform Infrared (FT-IR), UV Spectroscopy, HPLC, EFM, EDX, XRD, Ellipsometry and AFM were used. Other techniques like Electric Noise (EN) analysis, Fluorescence, DFT and Quantum chemical computations were used. In this review, a work of MS corrosion in NaCl and Sea water solutions and it's inhibition by natural products were presented.
- Sathiyanarayanan, S., Jeyaprabha, C., Muralidharan, S. & Venkatachari, G. (2006)., Inhibition of iron corrosion in 0.5 M sulphuric acid by metal cations., Applied surface science, 252(23), 8107-8112.
- Prabakaran, M., Kim, S. H., Hemapriya, V., Gopiraman, M., Kim, I. S., & Chung, I. M. (2016)., Rhus verniciflua as a green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 1M H2SO4., RSC advances, 6(62), 57144-57153.
- Devikala, S., Kamaraj, P., Arthanareeswari, M., & Patel, M. B. (2019)., Green corrosion inhibition of mild steel by aqueous Allium sativum extract in 3.5% NaCl., Materials Today: Proceedings, 14, 580-589.
- Nwankwo,M. O., Offor, P. O., Neife, S. I, Oshionwu, L. C. & Idenyi, N. E. (2014)., Amaranthus cordatus as a Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in H2SO4 and NaCl., J. of Miner. and Mat. Char. and Eng., 2, 194-199, http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jmmce.2014.23024.
- Xuan, L. P., Anwar, M. A., T. Kurniawan, T., Ayu, H. M., Daud., R. & Asmara,Y. P. (2019)., Caffeine as a Natural Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in NaCl Solution., J. of Sci. and Appl. Engg., 2(2), 63-72.
- Singh, S. K., Kumar, A., Ji, G. & Prakash, R. (2022)., Electrochemical and Computational Examination of Camellia Sinensis Assamica Biomolecules Ability to Retard Mild Steel Corrosion in Sodium Chloride Solutions., J. of Bio- and Tribo-Corros., 8(1), DOI:10.1007/s40735-021-00611-7.
- Palaniappan, N., Cole, I., Caballero-Briones, F., Manickam, S., Thomas, K. J., & Santos, D. (2020)., Experimental and DFT studies on the ultrasonic energy-assisted extraction of the phytochemicals of Catharanthus roseus as green corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in NaCl medium., RSC advances, 10(9), 5399-5411.
- Muzakir, M. M., Nwosu, F. O., & Amusat, S. O. (2019)., Mild steel corrosion inhibition in a NaCl solution by lignin extract of Chromolaena odorata., Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, 37(6), 359-372.
- Adams, S. M., Abdulwahab, M., Ojiugo, N. U., Anianwu, F. O., Urama, N. A., & Okwudiba, I. N. (2020)., Novel Extract of Cyperus Esculentus Leaves as Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in 0.5 M NaCl Aqueous Solution., Int. Adv. Res. J. in Sci., Eng. and Tech., 7(5), 135-141.
- Koundal, V., Haldhar, R., Saxena, A., & Prasad, D. (2017)., Natural non poisonous green inhibitor of Glycyrrhiza glabra for mild steel in 3.5% NaCl., In AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1860, No. 1, p. 020063. AIP Publishing LLC.
- Haddadi, S. A., Alibakhshi, E., Bahlakeh, G., Ramezanzadeh, B., & Mahdavian, M. (2019)., A detailed atomic level computational and electrochemical exploration of the Juglans regia green fruit shell extract as a sustainable and highly efficient green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 3.5 wt% NaCl solution., Journal of molecular liquids, 284, 682-699.
- Pradityana, A., & Shahab, A. (2014)., Application of Myrmecodia pendans extract as a green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 3.5% NaCl solution., In Applied Mechanics and Materials, 93, 684-690. Trans Tech Publications Ltd.
- Rana, M., Joshi, S., & Bhattarai, J. (2017). Extract of different plants of Nepalese origin as green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 0.5 M NaCl solution. Asian Journal of Chemistry, 29(5), 1130-1134., undefined, undefined
- Sathiyanathan, R., Maruthamuthu, S., Selvanayagam, M., Mohanan, S., & Palaniswamy, N. (2005)., Corrosion inhibition of mild steel by ethanolic extracts of Ricinus communis leaves.,
- Akbarzadeh, S., Ramezanzadeh, B., Bahlakeh, G., & Ramezanzadeh, M. (2019)., Molecular/electronic/atomic-level simulation and experimental exploration of the corrosion inhibiting molecules attraction at the steel/chloride-containing solution interface., Journal of Molecular Liquids, 296, 111809.
- Premkumar, P., Kannan, K., & Natesan, M. (2008)., Thyme extract of Thymus vulgar L. as volatile corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in NaCl environment., Asian journal of chemistry, 20(1), 445.
- Vorobyova, V. & Skiba, M. (2022)., Potential of tomato pomace extract as a multifunction inhibitor corrosion of mild steel., Waste and Biomass Valorization, 13(7), 3309-3333.
- Edraki, M., Mousazadeh Moghadam, I., Banimahd Keivani, M., & Fekri, M. H. (2019)., Turmeric extract as a biocompatible inhibitor of mild steel corrosion in 3.5% NaCl solution., Quarterly Journal of Iranian Chemical Communication, 7(2), 90-159.
- Sangeetha, M., Rajendran, S., Sathiyabama, J., & Prabhakar, P. (2012)., Asafoetida extract (ASF) as green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in sea water., Int. Res. J. Environment Sci, 1(5), 14-21.
- Rama. V, Malarvizhi, I. & Selvaraj, S. (2018)., Effect of Cansjera Rheedii leaves extract on mild steel in Natural Sea Water., Int. J. of Engg. Devel. and Res., 6(4), 575-582.
- Sribharathy V. and Rajendran, S. (2013)., Cuminum cyminum Extracts as Eco-Friendly Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in Seawater., ISRN Corrosion, Article ID 370802, 1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/370802.
- Oyewole, O., Aondoakaa, E., Abayomi, T. S., Ogundipe, S. J., & Oshin, T. A. (2021)., Characterization and optimization study of Ficus exasperata extract as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in seawater., World Scientific News, (151), 78-94.
- Olamide, O., Adekunle, O. F., Adesoji, A. A., & Sunday, O. A. (2016)., Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in Seawater using Jatropha Stem., Analele Universitatii
- Hajar, H. M., Zulkifli, F., Mohd Sabri, M. G., Fitriadhy, A. & Wan Nik, W. B. (2016)., Lawsonia Inermis Performance as Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in Seawater., Int. J. of Chem. Tech. Res., 9(8), 600-608.
- Ukpong, I., Bamgboye, O., & Soriyan, O. (2018)., Synergistic inhibition of mild steel corrosion in seawater and acidic medium by cathodic protection and Monodora myristica using zinc anode., International Journal of Corrosion, 1-8.
- Hart K. G, Orubite-Okorosaye. K. & James A. O. (2017). Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in Simulated Seawater by Nymphae pubscens Leaf Extracts (NLE)., Int. J. of Adv. Res. in Chem. Sci., 4(12), 32-40, undefined
- Deivanayagam, P., Malarvizhi, I., Selvaraj S. & Deeparani, P. (2015)., Corrosion behaviour of Sauropus and rogynus leaves (SAL) on mild steel in natural sea water., Int. J. of Adv. in Pharm., Bio. and Chem., 4(3), 574-583.
- Malar vizhi. I. & Selvaraj. S. & Kalirajan. K. (2018)., Corrosion Behavior of Mild Steel in Natural Sea Waterwith Tephrosia Purpurea– A Green Approach., Int. J. of Res. and Anal. Rev., 5 (4), 164-174.
- Tuaweri, T. J., & Ogbonnaya, E. A. (2017)., Corrosion Inhibition Characteristics of Vernonia Amygdalina (Bitter Leaf) on Mild Steel in Seawater., Journal of Science and Engineering Research, 4, 6-13.
- Mzioud, K., Habsaoui, A., Ouakki, M., Galai, M., El Fartah, S., & Ebn Touhami, M. (2020)., Inhibition of copper corrosion by the essential oil of Allium sativum in 0.5 MH 2 SO 4 solutions., SN Applied Sciences, 2, 1-13.
- Prakash N. and B. Ragavan, B. (2009)., Phytochemical Observation and Antibacterial Activity of Cyperus Esculentus., Ancient Sci. of Life., 28 (4), 16-20.
- Onukwuli, O. D. Omotioma, M. and Obiora-Okafor, I. (2020)., Thermometric and Gravimetric Analyses of Aluminum Corrosion Control in a HCl Medium, Using Ricinus Communis Extract., Port. Electrochim. Acta., 38(1), 19-28. DOI: 10.4152/pea.202001019.
- Hassan, A. M., & Hassan, A. S. (2017)., In vitro antimicrobial activity of Thymus vulgaris, Origanum vulgare and Rosmarinus officinalis against dental caries pathogens., Ibn AL-Haitham Journal for Pure and Applied Science, 25(2).
- Ejikeme, P. M., Umana, S. G., Alinnor, I. J., Onukwuli, O. D., & Menkiti, M. C. (2014). Corrosion inhibition and adsorption characteristics of jatropha curcas leaves on Al in 1M HCl. American J. of Materials Sci, 4(5), 194-201., undefined, undefined
- El-Etre, A. Y., Abdallah, M., & El-Tantawy, Z. E. (2005)., Corrosion inhibition of some metals using lawsonia extract., Corrosion science, 47(2), 385-395.
- Khaled, K. F. (2008)., Molecular simulation, quantum chemical calculations and electrochemical studies for inhibition of mild steel by triazoles. Electrochimica Acta, 53(9), 3484-3492., undefined