Comparative study of some selected introduced varieties of groundnut (Arachis hypogea L.) in Lafia
- 1Department of Plant Science and Biotechnology, Federal University of Lafia, PMB 146, Lafia, Nigeria and Environmental BioTec. and Sustainability Research Group, Dept. of Plant Biology and Biotechnology, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
- 2Department of Plant Science and Biotechnology, Federal University of Lafia, PMB 146, Lafia, Nigeria
- 3Environmental BioTec. and Sustainability Research Group, Dept. of Plant Biology and Biotechnology, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
- 4Environmental BioTec. and Sustainability Research Group, Dept. of Plant Biology and Biotechnology, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria and Applied Environmental Biosciences and Public Health Research Group, Dept of Microbiology, University of 3 Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
- 5Department of Biological Sciences, Federal University of Kashere, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 12, Issue (3), Pages 25-35, October,18 (2022)
Groundnut (Arachis hypogeae.) serves as a very crucial means of getting of getting oil and for food also. Recent studies have shown that yearly, almost 35.6 million tones is produced on 26.4 million ha. Although groundnut is majorly cultivated to be eaten by man, it is also used as desert or produced as oil, butter or other produce from it. It is produced for the sole purpose of selling in many parts of Turkey because it has the tendency for more yield and the commercial value it carries. Groundnut is always grown for the purpose of large-scale production to sale, to be used as a major and suitable substitute for meat as protein or for other very important purposes for man. This study was carried out to compare the growth and yield parameters of some selected introduced varieties of groundnut in Lafia, Nasarawa State of Nigeria. The aim of this work was to examine the morphological parameters of some introduced varieties of groundnut and to investigate the best adapted variety of groundnut in Lafia, Nasarawa State. College of Agriculture, Science and Technology Lafia consultancy unit, Lafia, Nasarawa state was the site where the experiment was carried out during the major seasons of 2021. The varieties were ICG88104, ICG98294, ICG4412, ICG12189 and SAMNUT26. All improved varieties maturing in 93 to 104 days. Randomized complete Block Design (RCBD) was adopted as the experimental design while it was replicated five (5) times. Planting was done at a gap of 25cm between stands and between rows on a plot measured 1M×1M for each replicate. The results presented showed that the variety ICG88105 have the best adaptation in terms of germination percentage, quantity of leaves, quantity of flowers, quantity of pods, pod weight, dried haulm weight, fresh weight and the crop growth rate. Seedling establishment was favored in some varieties as other shows low seedling survival in this growing season. Results also showed that in seed selection of improve varieties, farmers should be considerate on the purpose of their farming either for pod or haulm this will enable them to make informed choices of which of which the improved variety should be selected.
- Okello, D.K., Biruma, M & Deom CM (2010)., Overview of groundnuts research in Uganda: past, present and future., Africa Journal of Biotechnology, 9(39), 6448–6459.
- Okello, D.K., Deom, C.M., Puppala, N., Monyo, E & Bravo-Ureta B (2018)., , Registration of ‘serenut 6T’ groundnut.
- Desmae, H., Janila, P., Okori, P., Pandey, M. K., Motagi, B. N., Monyo, E., ... & Varshney, R. K. (2019)., Genetics, genomics and breeding of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)., Plant Breeding, 138(4), 425-444.
- Pandey, M. K., Monyo, E., Ozias-Akins, P., Liang, X., Guimarães, P., Nigam, S. N., ... & Varshney, R. K. (2012)., Advances in Arachis genomics for peanut improvement., Biotechnology Advances, 30(3), 639-651.
- Willett, W., Rockström, J., Loken, B., Springmann, M., Lang, T., Vermeulen, S., ... & Murray, C. J. (2019)., Food in the Anthropocene: The EAT–Lancet Commission on healthy diets from sustainable food systems., The Lancet, 393(10170), 447-492.
- World Health Organization (2008)., Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)., 2003. Diet, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Chronic Disease. Geneva: WHO.
- Mustapha, S., Muhammed, U.M., Adeosun, N.O., Mohammed T.J., Mohammed, S.S. and Ibn-Aliyu, A. (2015)., Nutritional and Functional Characterization of Undecoticated Groundnut (A. hypogaea L.) Seeds from Bosso Market, Minna, Nigeria., American Journal of Food Science and Technology, 3, 126-131.
- Nigam, S.N (2000)., Some Strategic Issues in Breeding for High and Stable Yield in Groundnut in India., Journal of Oilseeds Research, 17(1), 1-10.
- Upadhyaya, H. D., Ortiz, R., Bramel, P. J., & Singh, S. (2003)., Development of a groundnut core collection using taxonomical, geographical and morphological descriptors., Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, 50(2), 139-148.
- Janila, P., Nigam, S. N., Pandey, M. K., Nagesh, P., & Varshney, R. K. (2013)., Groundnut improvement: use of genetic and genomic tools., Frontiers in plant science, 4, 23.
- Kotzamanidis, S. T., Stavropoulos, N., & Ipsilandis, C. G. (2006)., Classification and evaluation of Greek groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) using 17 main agronomic and quality traits., Pakistan Journal of Biological Science, 9(6), 1021-1027.
- Olalekan J., Olasan., Celestine U., Aguoru., Lucky O., Omoigui., Ebenezer J. Ekefa (2018)., Character Association Studies in Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)., American Journal of Plant Sciences, 9, 1531-1543
- Bajdar, H & Erbas (2005)., Influence of seed development and seed position on oil, fatty acid and total tocopheral contents in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.)., 179-186.
- Bell M. J. R. (2009)., Cultivar and Environmental Effect on Growth and Development of Peanut (Arachis hypogeae)., II Reproductive Developing Brassica Seed Resources, 27, 35-49
- Awal, M. A., & Ikeda, T. (2003)., Controlling canopy formation, flowering, and yield in field-grown stands of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) with ambient and regulated soil temperature., Field crops research, 81(2-3), 121-132.
- FAOSTAT (2013). Database in crop production. [http:// faostat.fao.org/site/567/DesktopDefaulaspx?PageID=567, ancor] site visited on 5/08/2015., undefined
- Osei-Yeboah S., Lindsay J. I. & Gumbs, F. A. (1983)., Estimating leaf area of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp) from linear measurements of terminal leaflets., Tropical Agriculture.
- Aguoru, C.U., Okoli B.E. & Olasan J.O. (2016)., Comparative Gross Morphology of Some Species of Sesamum L., International Journal of Current Research in Bio Sciences and Plant Biology, 3, 21-32.
- Reddy, T. Y., Reddy, V. R., & Anbumozhi, V. (2003)., Physiological responses of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) to drought stress and its amelioration: a review., Acta agronomica hungarica, 51(2), 205-227.
- Nkot L., Nwaga D., Ngakou A., Fankem H. and Etoa F. (2011)., Variation in nodulation and growth of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) on oxisols from land use systems of the humid forest zone in southern Cameroon., African Journal of Biotechnology, 10(20), 3996.
- Mshelmbula, B. P., Jummai, B. F., Mallum, S M., and R Zacharia (2017)., Studies on four cultivars of groundnut (Arachis hypogeae) grown in Mubi, Adamawa State of Nigeria., Nigerian Journal of Technological Research, 12(1), 1-4.
- Chastain, T. G., Ward, K.J & Wysocki, D.J (1995)., Stand establishment response of soft white winter wheat to seedbed residue and seed size., Crop Science, 35, 213–218.
- Kumar, S., Singh, D.J & Singh R (2018)., Growth and Yield Response of Mung Bean (Vigna radiata L.) in Different Levels of Potassium., Acta Scientific Agriculture, 2(6), 23-25.
- Olasan, J.O., Aguoru, C.U., Omoigui, L.O., Danmaigona, C. & Ugbaa, M.S. (2017)., Assessment of Genetic Diversity in Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) Using Principal Component Analysis and Cluster Segmentation., Proceedings of the Genetic Society of Nigeria 41st Annual Conference.
- Udom, G.N., Ndaeyo, N.U & Yunus Y.S. (2009)., Effect of Sowing Dates and Varieties on the Yield Performance of Groundnut., Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Conference of the Agricultural Society of Nigeria, Abuja, 20-23 October 2009, 189-191.
- Taylor, D.J., Green, N.P.O. & Stout, G.W. (2007)., Plant-Water Relationship., 6th Edition, Biological Sciences, 988 p.
- Swank, J.C., Egli, B.D & Pfeiffer, T.W. (2013)., Seed growth characteristics of soybean genotypes differing in duration of seed fill., Crop Science, 27, 85-89.
- FAO (2011)., Land tenure, climate change mitigation and agriculture., Mitigation of Climate Change in Agriculture (MICCA) Programme. June 2011. Rome. FAO. 2011b.