A study of binding of DNA extracted from onion with Ruthunium(II) Polypyridyl Complexes
- 1Department of Chemistry and Research Centre, Scott Christian College (Autonomous) Nagercoil, Tamilnadu, India
- 2Department of Chemistry and Research Centre, Scott Christian College (Autonomous) Nagercoil, Tamilnadu, India
- 3Department of Chemistry and Research Centre, Scott Christian College (Autonomous) Nagercoil, Tamilnadu, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 12, Issue (3), Pages 20-24, October,18 (2022)
In an aqueous solution, the binding of the Ru(II) polypyridyl complex [RuL3]2+ (where L=bpy, dmbpy) with onion DNA has been investigated using absorption and emission spectrum methods. The MLCT absorption maxima for both compounds are in the 445–460nm region. Using data on absorption intensity and emission investigations, the binding constant (Kb) for these processes is calculated from the Benesi-Hildebrand equation. The luminophore and DNA molecule interact at the ground state in a hydrophobic way. These complexes bind to DNA through intercalative mode. The Kb value depends on the nature of the DDNA and also on the ligand used.
- Gomathi, R., Ramu, A., and Murugan, A. (2013)., Synthesis, spectral characterization of N-benzyl isatin schiff base Cu(II), Co(II) and Ni(II) complexes and their effect on cancer cell lines., International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 10, 5156 - 5166.
- Gomathi, R., and Ramu, A. (2013)., Synthesis, DNA binding, cleavage, antibacterial and cytotoxic activity of Novel Schiff base Co(II) Complexes of substituted isatin., International Journal of Advanced Research, 1(8), 556–567.
- Rosenberg, B., Van Camp, L., and Krigas, T. (1965)., Inhibiton of cell division in Escherichia coli by electrolysis products from a platinum electrode., Nature, 205, 698-699. https://doi.org/10.1038/205698a0
- Barton, J. K. and Lolis E. (1985)., Chiral discrimination in the covalent binding of bis(phenanthroline)dichloro ruthenium(II) to B-DNA., Journal of the American Chemical Society, 107(3), 708-709. https://doi.org/10. 1021/ja00289a035
- Guo, Z., and Sadler, P. J. (2000)., Medicinal Inorganic Chemistry., Advances in Inoranic Chemistry, 49, 183-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0898-8838(08)60271-8
- Erkkila, K.E., Odom, D.T. and Barton, J.K. (1999)., Recognition and reaction of metallo intercalators with DNA., Chemical Reviews, 99(9), 2777-2796. https://doi.org/10.1021/cr980434
- Lippert, B. (2000)., Multiplicity of metal ion binding patterns to nucleo bases., Coordination Chemistry Reviews, 200, 487-516.
- Li,C., Liu, S. L., Guo, L. H., and Chen, D. P. (2005)., A new chemically amplified electrochemical system for DNA detection in solution Electrochem., Commuications Chemistry, 7(1), 23-28.
- Swarnalatha, K., Rajkumar, E., Rajagopal, S., Ramaraj, R., Banu, I. S. & Ramamurthy, P. (2011)., Proton coupled electron transfer reaction of phenols with excited state ruthenium (II)–polypyridyl complexes., Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry, 24(1), 14-21.
- Sumitha Celin, T. and Allen Gnana Raj, G. (2020)., Luminescence quenching of tris(4,4ʹ-dimethyl-2,2ʹ-bipyridyl)ruthenium(II) complex with quinones in aprotic polar medium., Indian Journal of Chemistry, 59A, 923-928.
- Nordell, K. J., Jackelen, A. L., Condren, S. M., Lisensky, G. C., and Ellis, A. B. (1999)., Liver and Onions: DNA Extraction from Animals and Plant Tissues., Journal of Chemical Education,76(3), 400A, https://doi.org/10.1021/ ed076p400
- Saha, B. and Stanbury, D. M. (2000)., Thermal and Photochemical Reduction of Aqueous Chlorine by Ruthenium(II) Polypyridyl Complexes., Inorganic Chemistry, 39(6), 1294-1300. https://doi.org/10.1021/ic 9910920