Novel analytical method for quality control of molecular sieves at manufacturing sites
- 1Analytical Science, Corporate T&I, SABIC Research & Technology Pvt. Ltd, Bengaluru, India
- 2Analytical Science, Corporate T&I, SABIC Research & Technology Pvt. Ltd, Bengaluru, India
- 3Analytical Science, Corporate T&I, SABIC Research & Technology Pvt. Ltd, Bengaluru, India
- 4Analytical Science, Corporate T&I, SABIC Research & Technology Pvt. Ltd, Bengaluru, India
Res. J. Material Sci., Volume 10, Issue (1), Pages 21-24, February,16 (2022)
Molecular Sieves are zeolites (metal aluminosilicates) that are extensively used for drying various fluid streams industrially. They are tailored with precise pore size, and work based on size exclusion, adsorbing only those molecules, which can be fit in the pores. Depending on the pore size, applications can range from drying of unsaturated hydrocarbon streams to separation of normal paraffins from cyclic/branched ones. In this work, we have come up with a novel and easy to implement method to check the quality of molecular sieves before loading a new batch in the reactor. Since tons of these molecular sieves are loaded in the reactors, quality has to be checked beforehand. Any issue with the quality of these materials can be detrimental to the operational efficiency of the drying process, leading to the loss of time and money, if it surfaces after loading the molecular sieves in the reactor. Therefore, it is imperative to have a quality check each time a new batch of molecular sieves is loaded.
- Flanigen E.M. (2001)., Introduction to Zeolite Science and Practice-Chapter 2: Zeolites and Molecular Sieves: An Historical Perspective., Elsevier Publication, pp 11-35.
- Santi Kulprathipanja (2010)., Zeolites in Industrial Separation and Catalysis., Wiley VCH Verlag Gmb H & Co. Publication, pp 1-26. ISBN 9783527325054
- Fischer M. (2020)., Simulation-based evaluation of zeolite adsorbents for the removal of emerging contaminants., Mater. Adv., 1, 86-98.
- Rhodes, C. J. (2010)., Properties and applications of Zeolites., Science Progress, (2010), 93(3), 1–63.
- Naydenov, Valery (2003)., Structured Molecular Sieves., Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden.
- Moshoeshoe M., Nadiye-Tabbiruka M. S., Obuseng V. (2017)., A Review of the Chemistry, Structure, Properties and Applications of Zeolites., American Journal of Materials Science, 7(5), 196-221.
- Christopher C. H. Lin, K. Amy Dambrowitz and Steven M. Kuznicki (2012)., Evolving Applications of Zeolite Molecular Sieves., The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 90, 207-216.
- Abdeen F. R. H., Mel M., Al-Khatib M. and Azmi A. S. (2011)., Dehydration of Ethanol on Zeolite Based Media Using Adsorption Process., Proceedings of the 3rd CUTSE International Conference Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia, 8-9 Nov, pp 312-322.
- Yamamotoa, T., Kimb Y. H., Kimb B. C., Endoa A., Thongprachana N nd Ohmoria T. (2012)., Adsorption characteristics of zeolites for dehydration of ethanol: Evaluation of diffusivity of water in porous structure., Chemical Engineering Journal, 181, 443– 448.
- Interra Global (2021)., Ethanol Molecular Sieve., https://www.interraglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/ 05/mSORB-EDG-3A48B-Ethanol-Molecular-Sieve.pdf Accessed on: 18th June, 2021.
- Al-Asheh, S., Banat, F. & Al-Lagtah, N (2004)., Separation of Ethanol-Water Mixtures Using Molecular Sieves and Biobased Adsorbents., Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 82(7), 855 – 864.
- Kyung-Min Kim, Hyun-Taek Oh, Seung-Jun Lim, Keon Ho, Yongha Park, and Chang-Ha Lee (2016)., Adsorption Equilibria of Water Vapor on Zeolite 3A, Zeolite 13X and Dealuminated Y Zeolite., J. Chem. Eng. Data, 61, 1547−1554.
- Zeochem (2021)., Molecular Sieves., https://www.zeochem.com/our-products/molecular-sieves, Accessed on: 18th June, 2021.
- Jović S., Laxminarayan Y., Keurentjes J., Jaap Schouten J. and Schaaf J. V. D. (2017)., Adsorptive Water Removal from Dichloromethane and Vapor-Phase Regeneration of a Molecular Sieve 3A Packed Bed., Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 56, 5042−5054.
- Interra Global (2021)., How 3a and 5a is made from 4a molecular sieve., https://www.interraglobal.com/how-3a-and-5a-is-made-from-4a-molecular-sieve/ Accessed on: 18th June, 2021.
- Lee Y., Weng L., Tseng P. and Wang C. (2015)., Effect of pressure on the moisture adsorption of silica gel and zeolite 13X adsorbents., Heat Mass Transfer, 51(3), 441–447.
- Interra Global (2021)., Interra Global adsorbent product-highlight 13x molecular sieves., https://www.interraglobal.com/adsorbent-product-highlight -13x-molecular-sieves/ Accessed on: 18th June, 2021.
- OlesikJ. W. (1996)., Fundamental Research in ICP-OES and ICPMS., Analytical Chemistry News & Features, August 1, 469A-474A.
- Donati G. L., Amais R. S. and Williams C. B. (2017)., Recent advances in inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry., J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 32, 1283-1296.
- Tahraoui Z., Nouali H., Marichal C., Forler P, Klein J. and Daou T. J. (2020)., Influence of the Compensating Cation Nature on the Water Adsorption Properties of Zeolites., Molecules, 25, 944-968.
- Shukla P., Dong K., Rudolph V., Bhatia S.K., Bajaj H.C. and Jasra R. V. (2019)., Adsorptive dehydration of ethanol using 3A zeolite: an evaluation of transport behaviour in a two phase zeolite pellet., Adsorption, 25, 1611–1623.
- Peter S.A., Moharir A. S. and Jasra R. V. (2011)., Sr2+ Exchanged Zeolite X as an Adsorbent Materialfor Chromatographic Separation of Argon-Oxygen Gaseous Mixture., Separation Science and Technology, 46, 500–506.