Distribution of Heterotrophic Bacteria in the near shore waters and Intertidal Sediments of Visakhapatnam, east coast of India
- 1Department of Marine Living Resources, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam– 530003, India
- 2Department of Marine Living Resources, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam– 530003, India
Res. J. Marine Sci., Volume 4, Issue (6), Pages 1-12, June,13 (2016)
Heterotrophic bacteria density in the near shore waters and intertidal sediments was studied from May 2014 to May 2015 at fortnightly intervals from five stations. The mean values of water temperature, salinity, dissolved oxygen, pH and sediment organic matter were 28.6°C, 34.9 ppt, 4.73 mg/l, 7.7 and 0.73% respectively. The total bacteria density in the near-shore waters ranged from a low density of 213 x 10³ cfu/ml (Station 2; May II) to a high density of 463 x 10³ cfu/ml (Station 3; November II) and averaged to 334 x 10³ cfu/ml. The total bacteria density in the intertidal sediments fluctuated between 172 x 10³ cfu/g (Station 1; March II) and 475 x 10³ cfu/g (Station 3; December II) and averaged to 316 x 10³ cfu/g. Significant negative correlations are observed for salinity, DO and pH at Station 2. Significant positive correlations are recorded for water salinity and sediment temperature at Station 4. The paper discusses the impact of physico-chemical parameters on the density distribution of bacteria along Visakhapatnam coast.
- Verlankar N.K. (1957)., Bacteria isolated from sea water and marine mud of Mandapam (Gulf of Mannar and Palk Bay)., Indian Journal of Fisheries, 4, 208-227.
- Stevenson H.L., C.E Millwood and BH Hebeler (1974)., Aerobic, heterotrophic bacterial populations in estuarine water and sediments. R.R.Colwell&Morita R.Y, (Dds)., Effect of the Ocean environment on microbial activities, University Park press, Baltimore, U.S.A. 268-285.
- Nair S., Lokabharathi P. and Achutankutty C.K. (1978)., Distribution of heterotrophic bacteria in marine sediments[india]., Indian J. Mar. Sci. 7, 18-22.
- Palaniappan R. and K. Krishnamurty (1985)., Heterotrophic bacteria of near shore waters of the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 14, 110-113.
- Kannan L. and K. Vasantha (1986)., Distribution of Heterotrophic bacteria in Vellar estuary east coast of India., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 15, 265-267.
- Shiaris M.P., Rex A.C., Pettibone G.W., Keay K., McManus P., Rex M.A., Ebersole J. and Gallagher E. (1987)., Distribution of indicator bacteria and Vibrio parahaemolyticusin sewage-polluted intertidal sediments., Appl. Envtl. Microbiology, 53, 1756-1761.
- Vasantha K. and Kannan L. (1987)., Distribution of heterotrophic bacteria in the Killai backwaters, Porto Novo, south east coast of India, . Mahasagar, 20, 32-35.
- Choudhary A. (1987)., Multidisciplinary research project on Mangroves of Sundarbans., Project Report, University of Calcutta, 87.
- Alavandi S.V. (1989)., Heterotrophic bacteria in the coastal waters of Cochin., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 18, 174-176.
- Chandramohan D. (2004)., Marine microbiology: challenges and future directions., Citeseer, 7-13.
- Priya M.D., Kalekar S. and Bhosle S. (2004). Diversity of free-living and adhered bacteria from mangrove swamps. Indian J. Microbiol., 44, 247-250., undefined, undefined
- Surajit D., Lyla P.S. and Ajmalkhan S. (2007)., Spatial variation of aerobic culturable heterotrophic bacterial population in the sediments of the continental slope of western Bay of Bengal., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 36, 51-58.
- Azam F. and F. Malfatti (2007)., Microbial structuring of marine ecosystems., Nature Reviews on Microbiology, 5, 782-794.
- Patra A.K., Acharya B.C. and Mohapatra A. (2009). Occurrence and distribution of bacterial indicators and pathogens in coastal waters of Orissa. Indian J. Mar. Sci., 38, 474-480., undefined, undefined
- Chen M., H. Li, G. Li and T. Zheng (2011)., Distribution of Vibrio angiolyticus-like species in Shenzhen coastal waters, China., Braz.J.Microb. 42, 884-896.
- Sreedevi P. and B. Kondalarao (2006)., Density distribution of heterotrophic bacteria in the surface waters at Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour., J.Mar.Biol.Ass. India, 48, 237-240.
- Raghavendrudu G. and B. Kondalarao (2008)., Density of heterotrophic bacteria in Meghadri mangrove ecosystem, Visakhapatnam, east coast of India., J.Mar.Biol.Ass.India, 50, 1-4.
- Jackson M.L. (1967)., Soil chemical analysis., Prentice Hall of India Ltd, New Delhi, 498.
- Prabhu S.K., B. Subramanian and A. Mahadevan (1991)., Occurrence and distribution of heterotrophic bacteria of Madras coast (Bay of Bengal)., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 20, 130-133.
- Mogal H.F. and H.C. Dube (1995)., Heterotrophic bacterial population of waters of Dandi Sea coast., Indian J. Microbiology 35, 43-46.
- Ramaiah N., Raghukumar C., Sheelu G. and Chandramohan D. (1996)., Bacterial abundance, communities and heterotrophic activities in coastal waters of Tamilnadu., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 25, 234-239.