Effects of rice husk on adobes in clay soils
- 1National High School of Public Works of N’Djamena, Civil Engineering Laboratory, P.O. Box: 60 N'Djamena, Chad
- 2Group of Mechanics, Materials and Acoustics (GMMA), Department of Physics, Faculty of Science, University of N'Gaoundéré, P.O. Box: 454 Ngaoundéré, Cameroon
- 3Mongo Polytechnic University, Laboratory of Mechanical Engineering and Materials, P.O. Box: 4377 Mongo, Chad
- 4National High School of Public Works of N’Djamena, Civil Engineering Laboratory, P.O. Box: 60 N'Djamena, Chad
- 5National High School of Public Works of N’Djamena, Civil Engineering Laboratory, P.O. Box: 60 N'Djamena, Chad
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 11, Issue (3), Pages 12-21, September,26 (2022)
This work aims to evaluate the influence of rice husk on the mechanical and physical characteristics of adobes produced from clay soils. To this end, rice husk sorted by a 1.25mm diameter mesh screen was used to formulate different mixtures comprising 0%, 1%, 1.5%, 2% and 2.5% by mass of clay. The specimens with dimensions of 4cmx4cmx16cm were produced after 0, 7 and 14 days of maturation of the formulated pastes. The different adobes were tested for water absorption, drying shrinkage and mass loss as well as for mechanical characterization. The results obtained indicate that the linear shrinkage, mass loss and water absorption coefficient decrease with increasing percentages of rice husk and days of maturation. The addition of 1% rice husk to these clay soils improves the mechanical strength. This improvement is a function of the number of days of maturation of the pasta and leads to a gain of 5 to 6% in mechanical strength for the clay soil of N'Djamena.
- Abakar A. (2018)., Mechanical and thermal characterization of clay stabilized by gum arabic and reinforced by rice straw., Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of Lorraine, Nancy.
- Jean-Paul Bourdier et Thi Trinh Minh-ha (2005)., Habiter un monde, architecture de l, Paris, pp 1- 191, ISBN : 2- 86227-462-3
- Magniont, C. (2010)., Contribution to the formulation and characterization of an eco-building material based on agricultural resources., PhD Thesis in Civil Engineering. University of Toulouse III, Toulouse.
- Tai. N.T. (2010)., Contribution to the study of the formulation and manufacturing process of building elements made of canker concrete., Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of South Brittany, France.
- Tuan A. P. (2018)., Formulation and characterization of an earth- plant fiber composite: The gauge. University of Caen Normandy, France.,
- Houben H. and Guillaud H. (2006)., Traité de construction en terre, Editions parentheses., Marseille (France), pp1-355. ISBN: 978-2863641613.
- Richard P.W. (2010)., Adobes, a sustainable solution for green housing in a seismically active region like Chile (dissertation)., The University of Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada.
- Atteib M.N.S. (2011)., Techno-economic study of an eco-matrix manufacturing plant in Chad (dissertation)., International School of Water and Environment (2IE), .Ouagadougou, Burkina-Faso.
- DELOTP (2014), Rice ball., The ashes. http://www.ballederiz.fr
- Trouy- triboulot M-C. and Triboulot P. (2001)., Wood materials- Structure and characteristics., C925, v2
- BOBETO (2020)., Elaboration and characterization of bio-sourced materials based on Lougouri clay and peanut shells., Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University OUAGA I Pr Joseph KI - ZERBO, Ouadougou, Burkina- Faso.
- Bouhicha M. F. and Aouissi S. K. (2005)., Performances of composite soil reinforced with barley straw., Cement and concrete composites; 27(5), 617-621.
- Afnor NF XP P 13-901 (2001). Earth blocks for walls and partitions., Paris (France), ISSN 0335-3931., undefined
- Ouédraogo M. (2018)., Stabilization of adobes by vegetable fibers., Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University OUAGA I Pr Joseph KI - ZERBO, Ouadougou, Burkina-Faso.
- Olivier J-P. AFPC-AFREM (1997)., Durability of concrete “Recommended methods for measuring quantities associated with durability., Report of technical days. Toulouse, France, 11th-12th, Dec. 1- 283.
- Afnornf EN 12390-5 (2001)., Part 5 Flexural strength of test specimens., Paris (France), ISSN 0335-3931.
- Afnor NF EN 12390-3 (2003)., Part 3 Compressive strength of test specimens., Paris (France), ISSN 0335-3931.
- Ravishankar, U., & Raghavan, S. (2004)., Coir stabilised lateritic soil for pavements., In Proceedings of the Indian Geotechnical Conference, Ahmedabad, India. 45-52.
- Paulus J. (2015)., Raw Earth Construction: Qualitative, Constructive and Architectural provisions - Application to a practical case: Ouagadougou [dissertation]., University of Liege, Belgium.