IoT: Major challenges, threats and concerns
- 1Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Bhilai House, Durg 491001, India
- 2Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Bhilai House, Durg 491001, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 11, Issue (2), Pages 30-32, May,26 (2022)
With various benefits offered, Internet of Things (IoT) is surely going to be one of the widely used technologies to transform lives with its social, economic and technical significance. Major tech giants are already working on it as their core business focus. All in all, it is seen a powerful way that can change the very essence of our living, for the better. But, with great expectations and potential, we absolutely cannot overlook the challenges, concerns and threats, this technology brings with itself. In lieu of providing us with customised suggestions and services, it would leave us susceptible to security concerns like identification and profiling, localisation, as an outcome of blurred public-private borderline, life attacks due to owner identification and tracking. Instead of total automation of these devices leading to mechanical decision making and possible loss of control, a human-machine approach would go a longer way. This paper highlights the current concerns to develop reliable, secure and energy-efficient IoT systems.
- Atlam, H. F., & Wills, G. B. (2020)., IoT security, privacy, safety and ethics., Digital twin technologies and smart cities, Springer Cham, pp. 123-149, ISBN: 978-3-030-18731-6
- Al-Fuqaha, A., Guizani, M., Mohammadi, M., Aledhari, M., & Ayyash, M. (2015)., Internet of things: A survey on enabling technologies, protocols, and applications., IEEE communications surveys & tutorials, 17(4), 2347-2376.
- Atlam, H. F., Alenezi, A., Alharthi, A., Walters, R. J., & Wills, G. B. (2017)., Integration of cloud computing with internet of things: challenges and open issues., IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings) and IEEE Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom) and IEEE Cyber, Physical and Social Computing (CPSCom) and IEEE Smart Data (SmartData). pp. 670-675.
- Xu, K., Qu, Y. & Yang, K. (2016)., A tutorial on the internet of things: from a heterogeneous network integration perspective., IEEE network, 30(2), 102-108.
- Atlam, H. F., Alenezi, A., Walters, R. J., & Wills, G. B. (2017)., An Overview of Risk Estimation Techniques in Risk-based Access Control for the Internet of Things., Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Internet of Things, Big Data and Security (IoTBDS). pp 255–260.
- Atlam, H. F., Alenezi, A., Alassafi, M. O., & Wills, G. B. (2018)., Blockchain with Internet of things: Benefits, challenges, and future directions., International Journal of Intelligent Systems & Applications, 10(6), 40-48.
- Nawir, M., Amir, A., Yaakob, N., & Lynn, O. B. (2016). Internet of Things (IoT):, Taxonomy of security attacks., Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Electronic Design (ICED), 321-326.
- Ziegeldorf, J. H., Morchon, O. G., & Wehrle, K. (2014)., Privacy in the Internet of Things: threats and challenges., Security and Communication Networks, 7(12), 2728-2742.
- Toch, E., Wang, Y., & Cranor, L. F. (2012)., Personalization and privacy: a survey of privacy risks and remedies in personalization-based systems., User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 22(1), 203-220.
- Aleisa, N., & Renaud, K. (2016)., Privacy of the Internet of Things: a systematic literature review (extended discussion)., arXiv preprint 1611.03340. Proceedings of Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-50), 5947-5956.
- Toch, E., Wang, Y. & Cranor, L. F. (2012)., Personalization and privacy: a survey of privacy risks and remedies in personalization-based systems., User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 22(1), 203-220.
- Carron, X., Bosuo, R., Maynard, S. B. & Ahmad, A. (2016)., The Internet of Things and Its Impact on Individual Privacy: An Australian Privacy Principle Perspective., Computer Law & Security Review, 21(1), 4-15.
- Zanella, A., Bui, N., Castellani, A., Vangelista, L., & Zorzi, M. (2014)., Internet of things for smart cities., IEEE Internet of Things journal, 1(1), 22-32.
- Abo Bakr, Ahmed and Azer, Marianne A. (2017)., Proceedings of the IEEE 12th International Conference on Computer Engineering and Systems (ICCES)., pp 233–237.