Corrosion inhibition of aluminium by seed extracts - a review
- 1Department of Chemistry, C. B. Patel Computer College & J. N. M. Patel Science College, Surat, Gujarat, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, C. B. Patel Computer College & J. N. M. Patel Science College, Surat, Gujarat, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 11, Issue (1), Pages 38-43, January,22 (2022)
Environmentally and ecologically recognition among scientists has cause to the enlargement of green technology alternatives to reduce corrosion. Corrosion inhibitors are extensively used for the protection of metals and equipment and they are required to be acceptable and eco-friendly. Some of the researchers are tried to make use of green seed extract products as corrosion inhibitors. In this review paper, corrosion inhibition of various types of metal, medium and green inhibitors (seeds extract) have been reported. In the present paper, reported on green corrosion inhibitors has been assess, and the great review of work on seed extracts as a green corrosion inhibitors have been highlighted. Among the studied many green seed extract are showed better inhibition performance 95.34% in Piper guineense. All the described seed extracts were found to inhibition of the corrosion of aluminium metal and it’s alloy in acidic or alkaline medium. Corrosion of aluminium and its inhibition was analyzed by weight loss, thermodynamic and kinetic methods. Electrochemical methods such as, Potentiodynamic polarization and EIS were also used. The protective films formed on metal surface have been analyzed by various techniques such as SEM, AFM, FT-IR, EDX, EN and GC-MS. The present review paper is an overview of works published on seeds extract for protection of aluminium from corrosion.
- Raghavendra, N., & Bhat, J. I. (2018)., Red arecanut seed extract as a sustainable corrosion inhibitor for aluminum submerged in acidic corrodent: An experimental approach towards zero environmental impact., Periodica Polytechnica Chemical Engineering, 62(3), 351-358.
- Raghavendra, N. and Bhat, J. I. (2016)., Green approach to inhibition of corrosion of aluminum in 0.5 M HCl medium by Tender areca nut seed extract: insight from gravimetric and electrochemical studies., Res. Chem. Intermed., 42(7), 6351-6372, http://doi.org/10.1007/s11164-016-2467-1
- Raghavendra, N., and Bhat, J. I. (2018)., Protection of Aluminium Metal in 0.5 M HCl Environment by Mature areca nut Seed Extracts: A Comparative Study by Chemical, Electrochemical and Surface Probe Screening Techniques., Journal of Physical Science, 29(1), 77-99. http://doi.org/10.21315/jps2018.29.1.6
- Goswami, S. P., Mathur, S. P., and Tanwar, A. (2015)., Corrosion Inhibition Efficiency Studies for the Seed Extract of Cyamopsis tetragonolobus Plant with Aluminium Metal in Various Strengths of Hydrochloric Acid Solution., EC Pharmaceutical Science., 1(1), 50-61.
- Olawale, O., Ogunsemi, B. T., Agboola, O. O., Ake, M. B., and Jawando, G. O. (2018)., Inhibition effect of Orange Seed Extract on Aluminium Corrosion in 1 M Hydrochloric acid Solution., International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology, 9(12), 282-287.
- Lawan, I. Y., Abdullah, F. K., Idris, S., Yamta, S. D., and Hudu, A. (2020)., Corrosion and Kinetic Study of Eucalyptus camaldulensis Seeds Extract Percolated with Methanol on Aluminium Coupons in HCl., Earthline Journal of Chemical Sciences., 3(1), 61-76. http://doi.org/10.34198/ejcs.3120.6176
- Prajapati, N. I., Vashi, R. T. and Desai, S. A. (2020)., Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill) Seeds Extract as Green Inhibitor for Aluminium Corrosion in HCl acid solution: Thermodynamic, Adsorption and Kinetic study., European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 7(6), 421-428.
- Anbarasi, C. M., and Divya, G. (2017)., A Green Approach to Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium in Acid Medium Using Azwain Seed Extract., Materials Today: Proceedings, 4(4), 5190-5200. http://doi.org/10.1016/j. matpr.2017.05.026
- Ladha, D. G., Wadhwani, P. M., Lone, M. Y., Jha, P. C., and Shah, N. K. (2015)., Evaluation of Fennel Seed Extract as a Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Pure Aluminium in Hydrochloric Acid: An Experimental and Computational Approach., Anal. Bioanal. Electrochem, 7(1), 59-74.
- Petchiammal, A., and Selvaraj, S. (2013)., The corrosion control of aluminium using Lawsonia inermis seed extract in acid medium., Int. J. Chem Tech. Res., 5(4), 1566-1574.
- Ennouri, A., Lamiri, A. and Essahli, M. (2017)., Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium in Acidic Media by Different Extracts of Trigonellafoenum graecum L. Seeds., Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, 35(5), 279-295.
- Ekeke, I. C., Osoka, E. C., Nwanja, J. U. and Nze, E. (2020)., Optimization of The Inhibitive Properties Of Azadirachta indica Seed Extract On The Corrosion Of Aluminium in Acid Medium., Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology, 7(2), 11508-11520.
- Ezeugo, J. O., Onukwuli, O. D., Ikebudu, K. O., Ezechukwu, V. C., and Nwaeto, L. O. (2019)., Investigation of Akuamma Seed Extract on Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium in Hydrochloric Acid Pickling Environment., Earthline Journal of Chemical Sciences, 1(2), 115-138. http://doi.org/ 10.34198/ejcs.1219.115138
- Petchiammal, A., and Selvaraj, S. (2013)., Investigation of Anti-Corrosive Effects of Lebbeck Seed Extract on Aluminum in Acid Environment., The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology, 14(1), 31-39.
- Sharma, Y. C., and Sharma, S. (2016)., Corrosion inhibition of aluminum by Psidium guajava seeds in HCl solution., Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta., 34(6), 365-382.
- Ekeke, I. C., Nwanja, J. U., Nze, E. K., Udeze, J. C., Okeke, H. E. and Herbert, M. U. (2020)., Inhibitive properties of Azadirachta indica (Neem) seed extract on the corrosion of aluminium in 0.5M HCl medium., International Journal of Engineering Applied Sciences and Technology, 4(11), 45-49.
- Pushpanjali, M., Suma, A. R., and Padmalatha, R. (2014)., Inhibitive effect of Carica papaya seed extract on aluminium in H2SO4 medium., J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 5 (2), 591-598.
- Prabhu, D. and Padmalatha, R. (2013)., Garcinia indica as an Environmentally Safe Corrosion Inhibitor for Aluminium in 0.5 M Phosphoric Acid., Int. J. Corro., ID 945143, 1-11. http://doi.org/10.1155/2013/945143
- Singh, A., and Quraishi, M. A. (2012)., Azwain (Trachyspermum copticum) seed extract as an efficient corrosion Inhibitor for Aluminium in NaOH solution., Res. J. Recent. Sci., 1(ISC-2011), 57-61.
- Singh, A., and Quraishi, M. A. (2016)., Piper longum extract as green corrosion inhibitor for aluminium in NaOH solution., Arabian J. Chem., 9(2), S1584-S1589. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2012.04.029
- Rajalakshmi, R. Subhashini, S., Nanthini, M. and Srimathi, M. (2009)., Inhibiting effect of seed extract of Abrus precatorius on corrosion of aluminium in sodium hydroxide., Oriental Journal of Chemistry, 25(2), 313-318.
- Al-Moubaraki, A. H., Al-Howiti, A. A., Al-Dailami, M. M. and Al-Ghamdi, E. A. (2017)., Role of aqueous extract of celery (Apium graveolens L.) seeds against the corrosion of aluminium/sodium hydroxide systems., J. Env. Chem. Eng., 5(5), 4194-4205.
- Prabhu, D., and Padmalatha, R. (2016)., Corrosion Inhibition of 6063 Aluminum Alloy in 0.5M Sodium Hydroxide Medium by Aqueous Extract of Seeds of Garcinia indica., Materials Science Forum, 880, 119-123. http://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.880.119
- Nwosu, O. F. and Osarolube, E. (2014)., Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium Alloy in 0.75 M KOH Alkaline Solution Using Xylopia aethiopica Seed Extract., Physical Science International Journal, 4(9), 1235-1243.
- Elgahawi, H., Gobara, M., Baraka, A. and Elthalabawy, W. (2017)., Eco Friendly Corrosion Inhibition of AA2024 in 3.5% NaCl using the Extract of Linum usitatissimum Seeds., Journal of Bio and Tribo Corrosion, 3(4), 55. http://doi.org/10.1007/s40735-017-0116-x
- Nwosu, O. F., Osarolube, E., Nnanna, L. A., Akoma, C. S. and Chigbu, T. (2014)., Acidic Corrosion Inhibition of Piper guineense Seed Extract on Al Alloy., American Journal of Materials Science, 4(4), 178-183. http://doi.org/10.5923/j.materials.20140404.04
- Chahul, H. F., Ndukwe, G. I. and Ogwu, D. O. (2018)., A thermometric study on the kinetics of the acid dissolution of aluminium in the presence of Napoleonaea imperialis seeds extract and iodide ions., Ovidius University Annals of Chemistry, 29(2), 103-109. http://doi.org/10.2478/auoc-2018-0015
- Njoku, D. I., Ukaga, I., Ikenna, O. B., Oguzie, E. E., Oguzie, K. L. and Ibisi, N. (2016). Natural products for materials protection: Corrosion protection of aluminium in hydrochloric acid by Kola nitida extract. J. Mol. Liq., 219, 417-424. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2016.03.049, undefined, undefined
- Nair, R. N., Sharma, S., Sharma, I. K., Verma, P. S. and Sharma, A. (2010)., Inhibitory efficacy of Piper nigrum Linn. extract on corrosion of AA1100 in HCl., RASAYAN J. Chem., 3 (4), 783-795.
- Prabhu, D. and Padmalatha, R. (2013)., Corrosion inhibition of 6063 aluminum alloy by Coriandrum sativum L seed extract in phosphoric acid medium., J. Mater. Env. Sci., 4(5), 732-743.