Formulation and evaluation of antibacterial activity from various plant extracts against Streptococcus species
- 1Department of Biotechnology, Vivekanandha College of Engineering for Women, Tiruchengode–637 205, Tamilnadu, India
- 2Department of Biotechnology, Vivekanandha College of Engineering for Women, Tiruchengode–637 205, Tamilnadu, India
- 3Department of Biotechnology, Vivekanandha College of Engineering for Women, Tiruchengode–637 205, Tamilnadu, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (12), Pages 34-36, December,10 (2019)
Three medicinal plants such as Thespesia populnea, Ricinus communis and Catharanthus roseus were screened for antibacterial activity against Streptococcus species with the different combinations. Coconut oil, Neem oil and Aloevera gel were mixed with the medicinal plants separately to screen them for their antibacterial activity. Agar well diffusion technique was carried out. Among these three plants Thespesia populnea fruit with coconut oil and aloevera gel showed high zone of clearance when compared to others.
- Daniel S. Fabricant and Norman R. Farnsworth (2001)., The Value of Plants Used in Traditional Medicine for Drug Discovery., Environmental Health Perspectives, 109(1), 69-75. doi:10.1289/ehp.01109s169.
- Jain D.L., Bahetim A.M., Jain S.R. and Khandelwal K.R. (2010)., Use of medicinal plants among tribes in Satpuda region of Dhule and Jalgaon districts of Maharashtra-An etnobotanical survey., .Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, 9(1), 152-157. http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/7174
- Sanjay Kr Uniyal, Singh K.N., Pankaj Jamwal and Brij Lal. (2006)., Traditional use of medicinal plants among the tribal communities of Chhota Bhangal, Western Himalaya., Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, 2(14), 1-8. doi:10.1186/1746-4269-2-14.
- Parthasarathy R., Ilavarasan R. and Nandanwar R. (2010)., A study on preliminary phytochemical and diuretic activity of bark of Thespesia populnea., International Journal of pharma science and research, 1(2), 72-77.
- Wadood A., Ghufran M., Jamal B., Naeem M. and Khan A. (2013)., Phytochemical Analysis of Medicinal Plants Occurring in Local Area of Mardan., Journal of Biochemistry and Analytical Biochemistry, 2(4). doi: 10.4172/2161-1009.1000144.
- Kumar N.S. and Simon N. (2016)., In vitro antimicrobial activities and phytochemical analysis of crude leaf extracts of Thespesia populnea (l)., Int. J. of Curr. Res. in Life Sci, 5(3), 566-568. http://vipspublisher.com/ijcrls.com/sites/ default/files/issues-pdf/00501.pdf.
- Sandip Kale, Tejaswini B. Pathare and Shivaji A. Lavale (2018)., Identification of phytochemicals and alkaloids in Catharanthus roseus and study of their antimicrobial activity., International Journal of Chemical Studies, 6(3), 431-433.
- Basyuni M., Sari D.P., Illian D.N. and Hasibuan P.A.Z. (2019)., Characterization of phytochemical, physicochemical and microscopic from five selected mangrove associate leaves., IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Sciences, 251. doi:10.1088/1755-1315/251/1/012019.
- Valgas C., Souza S.M.D., Smânia E.F. and Smânia Jr, A. (2007)., Screening methods to determine antibacterial activity of natural products., Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, 38(2), 369-380. doi: 83822007000200034.
- Dhankhar S., Arya V.P., Yadav S. and Yadav J.P. (2012)., Antimicrobial activity of Salvadora oleoides Decne. against some microorganisms., Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 6(14), 2754-2760. doi: 10.5897/JMPR11.763.
- Mahesh B. and Satish S. (2008)., Antimicrobial activity of some important medicinal plant against plant and human pathogens., World journal of agricultural sciences, 4(5), 839-843.
- Parekh J. and Chanda S. (2008)., Antibacterial activities of aqueous and alcoholic extracts of 34 Indian medicinal plants against some Staphylococcus species., Turkish journal of Biology, 32(1), 63-71. https://journals. tubitak.gov.tr/biology/abstract.htm?id=9336.
- Krzysztof Sieradzki and Alexander Tomasz (1997)., Suppression of lactam antibiotic resistance in a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus through synergic action of early cell wall inhibitors and some other antibiotics., Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 39(1), 47-51. doi: 10.1093/jac/39.suppl_1.47.
- Dele Davies H., Allison Mcgeer., Benjamin Schwartz., Karen Green., Darlene Cann., Andrew E. Simor., Donald E. Low. and The Ontario group A Streptococcal study group (1996)., Invasive Group A Streptococcal Infections in Ontario, Canada., The New England Journal of Medicine, 335(8), 547-554, doi: 10.1056/NEJM199608223350803.
- Lawrence R., Tripathi P. and Jeyakumar E. (2009)., Isolation, purification and evaluation of antibacterial agents from Aloe vera., Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, 40(4), 906-915. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1517-83822009000400023.