Status of fisheries in Lake Pulangui, Maramag, Bukidnon, Philippines
- 1Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, College of Arts and Sciences, Surigao del Sur State University-Main Campus, Tandag City, Surigao del Sur, Philippines
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (12), Pages 27-33, December,10 (2019)
This study was conducted to assess the status of fisheries and productivity in Lake Pulangui in Bukidnon. Twelve percent (40) of the total fishermen in different age brackets were considered as respondents/key-informants to gather information on the lake′s status. Results revealed that there was a gradual decreased in the total number of fishermen (n=326) in this study as compared to the retrieved data from the years 2011 (n=379) and 2005 (n=390). Gill-nets, cast-nets, and fish-pots were the commonly used fishing gears. However, 6 illegal fishing gears were occasionally reported in the area. On the other hand, the average Catch Per Unit Effort (CPUE) is 6 kilograms indicating that the lake has a fish production of 713,940kilograms in a year which is 35.76% lesser as compared to the year 2011. Among the species recorded, Oreochromis niloticus and Cyprinus carpio were commonly harvested and sold with a price of USD 0.50-1.20/kg. The average kilogram of fish sold per day/person is 3 kilograms with a price of USD 0.70/kg, thus, revealing the total annual revenue of USD 249,879. The results indicate that there was a significant decrease in fish production due to the alteration of the lake′s physical property.
- FAO. (2016)., The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2016., Contributing to food security and nutrition for all. Rome. 200.
- Delgado C., Wada N., Rosegrant M., Meijer S. and Ahmed M. (2003)., Outlook for Fish to 2020: Meeting Global Demand, International Food Policy Research Institute., WorldFish Centre,Penang, Malaysia.
- Sanchirico J.N. and Wilen J.E. (2007)., Global marine fisheries resources: status and prospects., International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, 7(2-3), 106-118.
- Pauly D., Christensen V., Guénette S., Pitcher T., Sumaila U., Walters C., Watson R. and Zeller R. (2002)., Towards sustainability in world fisheries., Nature, 418, 689-695.
- Muallil R.N., Cabral R., Mamauag S. and Aliño P. (2012)., Status, trend and sustainability of small-scale fisheries in the Philippines., In 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, 9-13.
- Bersales L.G.S. (2018)., Fisheries Statistics of the Philippines., 2015-2017, 26. ISNN 2012-0397.
- Gam H.S., Elder J.F., Robertson D.M. and Team L.S. (2003)., Why Study Lakes: An Overview of USGS Lake Studies in Winsconsin., US Department of the Interior, US Geographical Society.
- Palma A.L. (2016)., Restoration and Enhancement of Fisheries in Philippine Lakes and Reservoirs., In: Kawamura Hajime, Tsuyoshi Iwata, Yuttana Theparoonrat, Nopporn Manajit, and Virgilia T. Sulit. (Eds). 2016. Consolidating the Strategies for Fishery Resources Enhancement in Southeast Asia. Proceedings of the Symposium on Strategy for Fisheries Resources Enhancement in the Southeast Asian Region, Pattaya, Thailand, 27-30 July 2015. Training Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Samutprakan, Thailand; pp 107-110.
- Quimpang V.T. and Gregorio M.R. (2014)., Assessment of water quality, primary production and trophic state of Bukidnon lakes, Central Mindanao, Philippines., CMU Journal of Science, 18, 15-29.
- Palma A.L. and Bartolome V.M. (2016)., Enhancing the fishery resources in Philippine lakes: The Philippine national inland fisheries enhancement program., Secretariat, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center. Fish for the People, 14(3).
- BFAR. (2014)., Philippine Fisheries Profile., Department of Agriculture – Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources
- Camacho A.S. (1999)., Major Issues, Policies and Strategies of Fisheries., Trans. Natl. Acad. Sci. Tech. Philippines, 21, 120-148. (/999).fSSN 0115-8848
- Quimpang V.T. (1991)., Bukidnon Lake Fisheries: A Preliminary Survey., CMU Journal of Science, 4(2), 47-56.
- Repolidon J.M. (2013)., Fisheries in Lake Pulangui, Maramag, Bukidnon., Unpublished article.
- BFAR. (2018)., Philippine Fisheries Profile., Department of Agriculture – Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources.
- Paller V.G.V., Labatos Jr. B.V., Lontoc B.M., Matalog O.E. and Ocampo P.P. (2011)., Freshwater Fish Fauna in Watersheds of Mt. Makiling Forest Reserve, Laguna, Philippines., Philippine Journal of Science, 140(2), 195-206.
- Galarpe V.R.K.R., Heyasa K.J.L. and Heyasa B.B.L. (2017)., Water Quality and Risk Assessment of Tributary Rivers in San Fernando, Bukidnon Philippines., J. Bio. Env. Sci., 11(1), 266-273.
- Birthwell I.K. (1999)., The effects of sedimentation on fish and its habitat., Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 15. ISSN 1480-4883.
- Birthwell I.K. (1999)., The effects of sedimentation on fish and its habitat., Fisheries and Oceans Canada. ISSN 1480-4883.