Mystery of a Rifleman: a case history
- 1Forensic Science Laboratory Haryana, Madhuban, Karnal, India
Res. J. Forensic Sci., Volume 6, Issue (1), Pages 1-6, February,29 (2018)
This paper is based only on the basis of the evaluation of the history, experiment conducted on the 5.56mm INSAS rifle as per discussions held among the forensic ballistics experts on the queries raised by the investigating officer of the case, chemical tests performed on the firearm and laboratory examination carried out in the forensic science laboratory etc. It is pertinent to mention here that the author of the case has not visited at the scene of crime, no reconstruction of scene of crime was done, the body of deceased person was not examined by the author, the clothes worn by the deceased person were not examined by the author in the forensic science laboratory due to non availability of the same, no photograph of the scene of crime were produced before the author, the post mortem report was not examined by author due to non availability of the same on the present file in the Forensic Science Laboratory. Further this study is based on the basis of examination of the fired cartridge cases, and experiment carried out by the author in the Forensic Science Laboratory etc.
- Armour A. (1996)., A study of gunshot suicides in Northern Ireland from 1989 to 1993., Science & justice: journal of the Forensic Science Society, 36(1), 21-25. DOI: 10.1016/S1355-0306(96)72550-9
- Amiri A., Sanaei-Zadeh H., Zavarei H.T., Ardestani F.R. and Savoji N. (2003)., Firearm fatalities. A preliminary study report from Iran., Journal of clinical forensic medicine, 10(3), 159-163. DOI: 10.1016/S1353-1131(03)00082-8.
- Azmak D., Altun G., Bilgi S. and Yilmaz A. (1998)., Firearm fatalities in Edirne, 1984–1997., Forensic science international, 95(3), 231-239. DOI: 10.1016/S0379-0738(98)00101-7.
- Azmak D., Altun G., Koç S., Yorulmaz C. and Özaslan A. (1999)., Intra-and perioral shooting fatalities., Forensic science international, 101(3), 217-227. DOI: 10.1016/ S0379-0738(99)00032-8.
- Karger B., Nüsse R., Tröger H.D. and Brinkmann B. (1997)., Backspatter from experimental close-range shots to the head., International journal of legal medicine, 110(1), 27-30. DOI: 10.1007/BF02441022.
- Balci Y., Canogullari G. and Ulupinar E. (2007)., Characterization of the gunshot suicides., Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, 14(4), 203-208. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcfm.2006.06.025.
- Betz P., Peschel O., Stiefel D. and Eisenmenger W. (1995)., Frequency of blood spatters on the shooting hand and of conjunctival petechiae following suicidal gunshots wounds to the head., Forensic science international, 76(1), 47-53. DOI: 10.1016/0379-0738(95)01793-3.
- Biasotti A. and Murdock J.E. (1997)., Firearms and toolmark identification: Legal issues and scientific status., Modern Scientific Evidence: The Law and Science of Expert Testimony, 124-151.
- Biasotti A.A. (1984)., Criteria for identification or State of the Art of Firearm and Toolmark Identification., AFTE Journal, 16(4), 16-24.
- Biasotti A.A. (1959)., A statistical study of the individual characteristics of fired bullets., J. of Forensic Sci., 4(1), 34-50.
- Biasotti A. (1981)., Bullet bearing surface composition and rifling (bore) conditions as variables in the reproduction of individual characteristics on fired bullets., AFTE J, 13(2), 94-102.
- Biasotti A.A. (1981)., Rifling Methods-A Review and Assessment of the Individual Characteristics Produced., AFTE J., 13(3), 34-61.
- Biasotti A.A. (1964)., The principles of evidence evaluation as applied to firearms and tool mark identification., Journal of forensic sciences, 9(4), 428-433.
- Blumenthal R. (2007)., Suicidal gunshot wounds to the head: a retrospective review of 406 cases., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 28(4), 288-291. DOI: 10.1097/PAF.0b013e318148bdca.
- Bradford L. (1979)., Forensic Firearms Identification: Competence or Incompetence., AFTE Journal, 11(1).
- Burrard G. (1933)., The Identification of Fire-Arms in Murder Cases., Game and Gun, 10(92).
- Cave R., DiMaio V.J. and Molina D.K. (2014)., Homicide or suicide? Gunshot wound interpretation: a Bayesian approach., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 35(2), 118-123. DOI: 10.1097/PAF. 0000000000000085.
- Cina S.J., Ward M.E., Hopkins M.A. and Nichols C.A. (1999)., Multifactorial analysis of firearm wounds to the head with attention to anatomic location., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 20(2), 109-115.
- de la Grandmaison G.L., Fermanian C., Aegerter P. and Durigon M. (2008)., Influence of ballistic and autopsy parameters on the manner of death in case of long firearms fatalities., Forensic science international, 177(2-3), 207-213. DOI: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2008.01.002.
- Grewal A.S., Sangwan S.S.R. and Dhanda V. (2016)., Aporia, Daze and Arcanes during Visit to Scene of Crime: A Case History., International Journal of Statistics and Reliability Engineering, 3(2), 190-193. ISSN(P); 2350-0174; ISSN(O); 2456-2378.
- Druid H. (1997)., Site of entrance wound and direction of bullet path in firearm fatalities as indicators of homicide versus suicide., Forensic science international, 88(2), 147-162. DOI: 10.1016/S0379-0738(97)00104-7.
- Eisele J.W., Reay D.T. and Cook A. (1981)., Sites of suicidal gunshot wounds., Journal of Forensic Science, 26(3), 480-485. https://doi.org/10.1520/JFS11388J. ISSN 0022-1198
- Goddard C. (1979)., Scientific Identification of Firearms and Bullets., AFTE Journal, 11(4). (This article originally appeared in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Vol. 17, 1926)
- Perdekamp M.G., Braunwarth R. and Pollak S. (2008)., Patterned imprint mark due to the folded shoulder stock: A possible finding in contact shots from submachine guns., Forensic science international, 178(1), e1-e5. DOI: 10.1016/j.forsciint. 2008.01.001.
- Perdekamp M.G., Nadjem H., Merkel J., Braunwarth R., Pollak S. and Thierauf A. (2011)., Two-gun suicide by simultaneous shots to the head: interdisciplinary reconstruction on the basis of scene investigation, autopsy findings, GSR analysis and examination of firearms, bullets and cartridge cases., International journal of legal medicine, 125(4), 479-485. DOI: 10.1007/ s00414-010-0517-6.
- Brackett Jr, J. W. (1970)., A study of idealized striated marks and their comparisons using models., Journal of the Forensic Science Society, 10(1), 27-56. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/S0015-7368(70)70556-2
- Garavaglia J.C. and Talkington B. (1999)., Weapon location following suicidal gunshot wounds., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 20(1), 1-5.
- Karger B., Nüsse R. and Bajanowski T. (2002)., Backspatter on the firearm and hand in experimental close-range gunshots to the head., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 23(3), 211-213. DOI: 10.1097/00000433-200209000-00001.
- Kohlmeier R., Mc Mohan C. and Di Maio V. (2001)., Suicides by firearms: a fifteen years experience., Am. J Forensic Med Pathol, 22(4), 337-340.
- Molina D.K. and DiMaio V.J. (2008)., Rifle wounds: a review of range and location as pertaining to manner of death., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 29(3), 201-205. DOI: 10.1097/PAF.0b013e 31818345a5.
- Molina D.K., Wood L.E. and DiMaio V.J. (2007)., Shotgun wounds: a review of range and location as pertaining to manner of death., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 28(2), 99-102. doi: 10.1097/01.paf. 0000257415.82728.d7
- Nikolic S., Živkovic V., Babic D. and Jukovic F. (2012)., Suicidal single gunshot injury to the head: differences in site of entrance wound and direction of the bullet path between right-and left-handed—an autopsy study., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 33(1), 43-46. DOI: 10.1097/PAF.0b013e31823a8a32
- Nichols R.G. (2007)., Defending the scientific foundations of the firearms and tool mark identification discipline: responding to recent challenges., Journal of Forensic Sciences, 52(3), 586-594. DOI: 10.1111/j.1556-4029.2007.00422.x.
- Schmeling A., Strauch H. and Rothschild M.A. (2001)., Female suicides in Berlin with the use of firearms., Forensic science international, 124(2-3), 178-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(01) 00594-1
- Schyma C., Madea B. and Courts C. (2013)., Persistence of biological traces in gun barrels after fatal contact shots., Forensic science international: genetics, 7(1), 22-27. DOI: 10.1016/j.fsigen.2012.05.008.
- Ståhling S. and Karlsson T. (2000)., A method for collection of gunshot residues from skin and other surfaces., Journal of Forensic Science, 45(6), 1299-1302. https://doi.org/10.1520/JFS14883J. ISSN 0022-1198.
- Stone I.C. (1992)., Characteristics of firearms and gunshot wounds as markers of suicide., The American journal of forensic medicine and pathology, 13(4), 275-280.
- World Health Organization (2014)., Suicide prevention., ISBN 978 92 4 156477 9 NLM Classification HV 6545.
- Vincent J.M. Di Maio (2011)., Gun Shot Wounds: Practical aspects of Firearms, Ballistics and Frensic Techniques., Third edition, CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, 47-78. ISBN-13: 978-1-4927-2570-5 (e-Book PDF).