Study of Estimating Firing Distance Based on Pellets Distribution on Targets from Country made Pipegun
- 1Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories, Kalina, Santacruz (E), Mumbai- 400098, India
- 2Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories, Kalina, Santacruz (E), Mumbai- 400098, India
- 3Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories, Kalina, Santacruz (E), Mumbai- 400098, India
- 4Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories, Kalina, Santacruz (E), Mumbai- 400098, India
Res. J. Forensic Sci., Volume 4, Issue (3), Pages 1-5, March,29 (2016)
In this article, we demonstrate a method for determination of firing distance based on pellet distribution on targets. This study needs to test firing from the pipegun at various distances viz. 2, 8, 10, 20, 26 ft target to compare gunshot residue and pellets distribution pattern made during the test firing. Smokeless powder particles/gunshot residues (GSRs) on the targets were characterized and analyzed by scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (SEM-EDX). Differences in chemical composition and morphology of GSRs were observed. Gunshot residues were collected from the target by using an adhesive tape. This study revealed that at 2 ft distance blackening and tattooing was seen and after 8 ft distance spreading of lead pellets took place.
- Sellier K. (1991)., Shot range determination., Forensic Science Progress 6, Berlin, Heidel-berg: Springer Verlag.
- Oliver D., David B. and Jason B. (2010)., Analysis of gunshot residue and associated materials: A review., J. Foren. Sci., 55, 924-943.
- Romolo F.S. and Margot P. (2001)., Identification of gunshot residue: A critical review., Foren. Sci. Int., 119, 195–211.
- Speers S.J., Doolan K. and McQuillan J., Wallace J.S. (1994)., Evaluation of improved methods for the recovery and detection of organic and inorganic cartridge discharge residues., J. Chromatogr. A., 674, 319–27
- Twibell J.D., Home J.M., Smalldon K.W., Higgs D.G. and Hayes T.S. (1982)., Assessment of solvents for the recovery of nitroglycerine from the hands using cotton swabs., J. Foren. Sci., 27, 792–800.
- Basu S. and Ferriss S. (1980)., A refined collection technique for rapid search of gunshot residue particles in the SEM., Scan. Electron Microsc., 1, 375–84.
- Schwartz R.H. and Zona C.A. (1995)., A recovery method for airborne gunshot residue retained in human nasal mucus., J. Foren. Sci., 40, 659–661.
- Gagliano Candela R., Colucci A. and Napoli S. (2008)., Determination of firing distance- lead analysis on the target by atomic absorption spectroscopy., J. Foren. Sci., 53, 321-324.
- Schwoeble A.J. and Exline D.L. (2000)., Current methods in forensic gunshot residue analysis., Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Koons R.D., Havekost D.G. and Peters C.A. (1988)., Determination of barium in gunshot reside collection swabs using inductively coupled plasma-atomic emission-spectrometry., J. Foren. Sci., 33, 35–41.
- Andrasko J., Oskarsson J. and Stahling S. (2003)., Ammunition used in the latest shooting., Foren. Sci. Int., 136, 146.
- Meng H.H. and Caddy B. (1997)., Gunshot residue analysis: A review., J. Foren. Sci., 42(4), 553–570.
- Barnes F.C. and Helson R.A. (1974)., Empirical study of gunpowder residue patterns., J. Foren. Sci., 19, 448–462.
- Moreau T.S., Nickels M., Wray J.L., Bottemiller K.W. and Rowe W.F. (1985)., Pellet patterns fired by sawed-off shotguns., J. Foren. Sci., 30, 137-149.
- Sharma B.R. (2002)., Firearms in criminal investigation and trials., Universal Law Publishing, Co. Pvt. Ltd. third edition.
- Uner H.B., Sam B., Kurtas O., Uysal C. and Cerkezoglu A. (2000)., Factor affecting the pellet dispersion in shootings with shotgun., Bull. Leg. Med., 5, 65-70.
- Arslan M.M., Kar H., Uner B. and Cetin G. (2011)., Firing distance estimates with pellet dispersion from shotgun with various chokes: An experimental, comparative study., J. Foren. Sci., 56, 988-992.
- Yucel F. and Orsal M. (1997)., The determination of the discharge distance after discharges done with different kind of shotguns and cartridges., J. Foren. Med., 13, 27-35.
- Mohamed I.A., Umi K.A., Yew C.H. and Muhammad K.A. (2010)., Analysis of gunshot residue deposited on cotton cloth target at close range shooting distances., Mal. J. Foren. Sci., l, 49-54.