Analyzing the perception of the impact of wives higher income on husbands in marital relationships in Otukpo L.G.A. of Benue State, Nigeria
- 1Department of Home Science and Management, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria
- 2Department of Home Science and Management, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria
Res. J. Family, Community and Consumer Sci., Volume 8, Issue (2), Pages 1-5, July,27 (2020)
This study analyzed the perception of the impacts of wives higher income on husbands in marital relationships among couples in Otukpo L.G.A. Benue State. The objectives of the study were to identify the reasons wives higher income affected marital relationship and to examine the impact of wives higher income on husbands. Two research questions and one hypothesis guided the study. The Mean and chi square were used for analysis. The study employed survey design method. The sample size was 186 couples. Purposive sampling technique was used. Questionnaire was used for data collection. The findings revealed that according to the husbands, the highest reason wives income affected marital relationships was that husbands did not feel like the head of the household (3.72), while the highest impact was that husbands had inferiority complex / low self esteem (3.51). The Result of the hypothesis revealed that X2-tab 9.488 was greater than X2-Cal 1.23. Therefore the hypothesis was accepted. The following was recommended: Marriage / family therapists should organize forums that will help couples strengthen the ego of husbands whenever they felt belittled; they should find strategies to help couples work together when wives salaries are higher than the husbands.
- Barr, N., (2004)., Problems and definition of measurement. In economics of the welfare State., Free Press, New York: NY.
- Ferree, D.R (2000)., Dimensions of compliance-gaining behavoiur: An empirical analysis., Journal of social and personal Relationship, 30, 350-364. doi:2307/2786181.
- Neumark, D. and Postlewaite, A. (1998)., Relative income concerns and the rise in married womens employment., Journal of Public Economics, 70, 157-183
- Bertrand, M., Kamenica, E. and Pan, J (.2015)., Gender Identity and Relative Income within Households., The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 130(2), 571-614, https://doi.org/10.1093/qje/qjv001
- Marc, B. N., (2007)., The effects of marriage and a working wife on occupational and wage attainment., Administrative Science Quarterly, 27, 66-80.
- Melanihoglind (2015)., Author I dont want to be the sole bread winner., Retrieved 12th July, 2015. from http://www.womensolebreadwinner.
- Evans, M., K., (2003). Understanding men find love respect and attraction., Journal of Social and Personal relationship, 17(1), 5-30., undefined
- Brad, K., A. (2010)., Psychologist and author of the book title bread winning wives have a taught path to follow when it comes to sex, money and power., Retrieved on October 22nd 2010 from http:/www./aspe/RelationshipStreagths/ rb.php.
- Bertrand M., Kamenica, K. and Pan, J. (2015)., Gender Identity and Relative Income within Households., The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 130(2), 571-614, https://doi.org/10.1093/qje/qjv001
- Walker, H. M., (2013)., When women earn more than men., Psych Central. Retrieved on February 12, 2016. http://www.nytimes.com.org.php.
- Ellis, B. J., & Garber, J. (2000)., Psychosocial Antecedents of variation in girls pubertal timing: Maternal depression, and marital and family stress., 71(2), 485-501.
- Kerman, Mamazandy, Z., & Danesh, E. (2002)., The impact of religious attitudes and sensation seeking on marital adjustment of married teachers., Journal of comparative family Psychological studies, 2, 129-154.
- Miranda Marquit (2007)., Writer and blogger: when women earn more money., Retrieved April. 11th, 2016 from http://www.blogspace.com/incomeword/2006/11/php.
- Cohn, M.W., (2002)., Look whos on top of the marriage market globe and mail., Journal of Developmental Psychology, published 20th Sept 2014.
- Popp, L. M, Cummings, E. M, & Geokemorey M.C (2009)., For Richer, for Poorer; Money as a topic of Marital Conflict in the home., Retrieved on 11th Aug. 2009, from www.pursemoney.com.pdf.
- Factors affecting marital stability as perceived in married spouses in IIorin metropolis, Nigeria., The counselor, 22(1), 127-137., undefined
- Lim, K.R. (2013)., Men and women of the corporation., Basic Books: New York.
- Mandora, S., (2011)., Unhealthy relationships signs. Understanding the Gender Gap: An Economic History of American Women., Oxford University press: New York.
- Mahyar, G. Janbozorai S. N., & Hosseine, K, J., (2008)., Preventing social isolation and loneliness among couples., Psychological science, 25(4), 41-65.
- Dickens, O.R. (2003)., Male -female wage differentials in urban labor markets., International Economic review, 14, 693-709.
- Melgosa, J. and Melgosa A. (2006)., Two Couples, Enjoying a lifelong relationship., Ibergraphi press: San Fernando de Henares, Madrid, Spain.
- Torabi, F. (2014)., Financial Expert and Author of When She Makes More: 10 Rules for Breadwinning Women., Hudson Press, The University of Michigan.
- Roberts .P. (2006), Building Bridges between the Healthy Marriage, Responsible Fatherhood: Issue Concerns and Recommendations., Couples and Marriage series., undefined
- Slide, N. C., (2005)., The structure of wage differences between mature female workers., Journal of Human Resources, 11, 484-506.
- Tartakosousky, M. (2013)., How to support an anxious partner., Psych central, Retrieved on April 13, 2016.
- Adikwu O., Aduloju M. O. & Emaikwu S.O. (2013)., Research methodology and Statistics in Education., Ebofem Crown Publisher Lanrad press.