Get realistic with realistic mathematics education
- 1Department of Education, K.J. Somaiya College of Education, Mumbai-400086, India
Res. J.Educational Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 23-28, August,1 (2021)
“Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you are numbers” is a quote associated with Shakuntala Devi but every adult would agree to this yet we do not know where do we apply certain concepts. Every child seeks same reasons. However, when such questions are put across, teachers, too, are tongue-tied. Teachers are trying to switch to checking the student’s understanding in the test. Thus, I feel there is an urgent need for familiarizing teachers with Realistic Mathematics Education. Being an exploratory research, it will involve a field study wherein questionnaire will be circulated to 7students and their responses will be recorded. It will develop deeper understanding and its real-life application in the students. The teacher will be able to make it relatable and will build an engaging and enriching environment in the classroom for each topic.
- Uzel D. and Uyang S. (2006)., Attitudes of 7th class students towards mathematics in Realistic Mathematics Education., International Mathematical Forum, 1(39), 1951-1959.
- Sanchal A and Sashi S (2017)., Students’ attitudes towards learning mathematics: Impact of teaching in a sporting context., Teachers and Curriculum, 17(1), DOI: 10.15663 /tandc.v17i1.151.
- Mensah, J. K., Okyere, M., & Kuranchie, A. (2013)., Student attitude towards mathematics and performance: Does the teacher attitude matter., Journal of education and practice, 4(3), 132-139.
- Effandi Z and Muzakkir S (2017)., The Effect of Realistic Mathematics Education Approach on Students, Mathematics Education Trends and Research, (1), 32-40. DOI: 10.5899/2017/metr-00093.
- Julia A, Meindert B and Kees Van P (2002)., Realistic Mathematics Education (RME)., https://rme.org.uk/about-rme/research-on-rme/ 06/03/2021.
- Dickinson, P., Eade, F., Gough, S., Hough, S. & Solomon, Y. (2019)., Intervening with Realistic Mathematics Education in England and the Cayman Islands-The Challenge of Clashing Educational Ideologies., International Reflections on the Netherlands Didactics of Mathematics, 341-366.
- Dickinson, P., Gough, S., Hough, S. & Solomon, Y (2017)., Investigating the impact of a Realistic Mathematics Education approach on achievement and attitudes in Post-16 GCSE resit classes., Manchester Metropolitan University Nuffield-report-2017.pdf (mmu.ac.uk) 06/03/2021
- Dickinson, P. & Eade, F. (2005)., Trialling realistic mathematics education (RME) in English secondary schools’., Hewitt, D. (Ed) Proceedings of the British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics 25(3), pp 1-14
- Gough, S., Hough, S. & Solomon, Y. (2019)., Connecting the everyday with the formal: the role of bar models in developing low attainers’ mathematical understanding., Eleventh Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education, Utrecht University, Feb 2019, Utrecht, Netherlands. ⟨hal-02435249⟩.
- Dickinson, P., Gough, S., & Hough, S. (2014)., Using context and models at higher level GCSE: adapting realistic mathematics education (RME) for the UK curriculum., In Proceedings of the 8th British Congress of Mathematics Education (Pope S. ed). Nottingham. 105-112.
- Dickinson, P., Hough, S., Searle, J., & Barmby, P. (2011)., Evaluating the impact of a Realistic Mathematics Education project in secondary schools., Proceedings of the British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics, 31(3), 47-52.
- Dickinson, P., Eade, F., Gough, S., & Hough, S. (2010)., Using Realistic Mathematics Education with low to middle attaining pupils in secondary schools., In Proceedings of the British Congress for Mathematics Education, 5(1), 34-46.
- Ch. Krisnandari Ekowati, Muhammad Ardi, Muhammad Darwis, H.M.D. Pua Upa, Suradi Tahmir and Gufran D. Dirawan (2015)., The Application of Realistic Mathematics Education Approach in Teaching Mathematics in Penfui Kupang., International Journal of Education and Information Studies, 5(1), 35-43.
- Judah P. Makony (2014)., Teaching Functions Using a Realistic Mathematics Education Approach: A Theoretical Perspective., International Journal of Educational Sciences, 7(3), 653-662. DOI: 10.1080/09751122.2014. 11890228
- Searle, J., & Barmby, P. (2012)., Evaluation report on the realistic mathematics education pilot project at Manchester Metropolitan University., Durham: Durham University.
- Thomas R and Mary S (2005)., The Longitudinal/Cross-Sectional Study of the Impact of Teaching Mathematics using Mathematics in Context on Student Achievement., Wisconsin Center for Education Research School of Education - University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Desi Rubiyanti (2020)., Mathematics Module Based On RME To Improve Students Creative Thinking., International Journal of Scientific &Technology Research, 9(01).