Water quality analysis and aquaculture development in village pond, Navsari, Gujarat, India
- 1Department of Aquatic Biology, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Udhana Magdalla Road, Surat-395007, Gujarat, India
- 2Department of Aquatic Biology, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Udhana Magdalla Road, Surat-395007, Gujarat, India
- 3Department of Aquatic Biology, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Udhana Magdalla Road, Surat-395007, Gujarat, India
- 4Department of Aquatic Biology, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Udhana Magdalla Road, Surat-395007, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Animal, Veterinary and Fishery Sci., Volume 10, Issue (1), Pages 30-34, May,24 (2022)
The current study was conducted to determine the physico-chemical parameters for development of aquacultural activities in village pond located at Degam, Navsari (Gujarat). In this research work, important water quality parameters like temperature, turbidity, pH, dissolved oxygen, total dissolved solids, total hardness, total alkalinity, nitrate-N, nitrite-N, phosphate and silicate were analysed and result was compared with prescribed standard values. The “physico-chemical parameters” during the study were observed as temperature (26.20°C), turbidity (4.70 NTU), pH (7.80), dissolved oxygen (10.37mg/L), total hardness (115.20mg/L), total alkalinity (266.00mg/L), nitrate-N (0.16mg/L), nitrite-N (0.13mg/L), phosphate (0.10mg/L) and Silicate (3.00mg/L).These findings were observed within the optimum limits for physicochemical parameters for aquaculture except dissolved oxygen and it can be suggested that the aquatic environment of studied village pond at Degam, Navsari (Gujarat) is conducive and suitable for fish culture. Such kind of practices could be helpful to provide cheap animal protein and employment for rural people.
- Rajput, D. (2020)., Assessment of Pond for Aquaculture Development: A Case Study of Bhesan Village Pond, Surat, Gujarat, India., International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, 7(11), 735-738.
- Stiassny, M. (1999)., The Medium is the Message: Freshwater Biodiversity in Peril., In the living Planet in Crisis: Biodiversity science and policy, Columbia University Press, New York.
- Ramachandra T. V., Kiran R., and Ahalya N. (2002)., Status, Conservation and Management of Wetlands., Allied Publishers (P) Ltd.
- Bhatnagar, A. and Devi, P. (2013)., Water quality guidelines for the management of pond fish culture., Int. J. Env. Sci., 3(6), 1980-2010.
- Bhatnagar, A., Jana, S.N., Garg, S.K., Patra, B.C., Singh, G. and Barman, U.K. (2004)., Water quality management in aquaculture., In Course Manual of summer school on development of sustainable aquaculture technology in fresh and saline waters, CCS Haryana Agricultural, Hisar (India), 203-210.
- Rani. S. (2019)., Physico-Chemical Properties of Fresh Water Fish Pond in Relation to Fish Farming in Darbhanga District., Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research, 6(6), 541-544.
- Rana, N. and Jain, S. (2019)., Assessment of physico - chemical parameters of freshwater ponds of district Bijnor (U. P), India., Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 5(4), 524-528.
- APHA (2005)., Standard Methods for the examination of water and waste water., 21st ed., AWWA, WPCE, New York.
- Trivedy, R.K. and Goel, P.K. (1986)., Chemical and biological methods for water pollution studies, Environmental publications, Karad, India.,
- Saha, R. K. (2010)., Soil and water quality management for sustainable aquaculture., Narendra Publishing House. New Delhi, pp 33-186.
- Ujjania, N. C., Sharma, L. L. and Saini, V. P. (2007)., Physico-chemical characteristics of three types of water bodies for Aquaculture., Objective fishery sciences, edt. (Ujjania, N. C., Sharma, L. L. and Saini, V. P.), Himanshu Publications, Udaipur-313001, Rajasthan, India, pp 240.
- Fey, D.P. (2006)., The effect of temperature and somatic growth on otolith growth, discrepancy between dupeid species similar environ., J. Fish Riot., 69, 794-806.
- Stickney, R.R. (2013)., Principles of Aquaculture., John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 605 Third Avenue, New York.
- Lloyd, R. (1992)., Pollution and Freshwater Fish., West Byfleet, Fishing news books, Oxford, UK.
- Ntengwe, F.W. and Edema, M.O. (2008)., Physico-chemical and Microbiological characteristics of water for fish production using small ponds., Phy. & Chem. Earth., 33, 701-707.
- Lawson, T. B. (1995)., Fundamentals of Aquacultural Engineering Chapman-Hall., International Thomson Publishing Company, 335p.
- Ekubo, A.A. and Abowei, J.F.N. (2011)., Review of some water quality management principles in culture fisheries., Res. J. Appl. Sci., Eng. & Tech., 3(2), 1342-1357.
- Solis, N. B. (1988)., Biology and ecology. In Biology and culture of Penaeus monodon., pp. 3-36. Aquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center.
- Das, A.K. (2002)., Evaluation of production potential in a peninsular reservoir (Yerrakalva)., J. Inland. Fish. Soc., India, 34 (2), 37-44.
- Bhatnagar, A. and Singh, G., (2010)., Culture fisheries in village ponds: a multilocation study in Haryana, India., Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America, 1(5), 961-968.
- Kumar, J.S.S. (2004)., Management of super-intensive farming of African catfish., A publication by the Technical Services Division, Animal care Konsult, Nigeria, 5-17.
- Lawson, T.B. (1995)., Fundamentals of Aquacultural Engineering., Chapman and Hall, New York.
- NRAC (1993)., An introduction to water chemistry in freshwater aquaculture., NRAC Fact Sheet No. 170-1993, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth North Dartmouth Massachusetts, 02747.
- Santhosh, B. and Singh, N.P. (2007)., Guidelines for water quality management for fish culture in Tripura, ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Tripura Canter, Publication no. 29, undefined
- Eze, V.C. and Ogbaran, I.O. (2010)., Microbiological and physico-chemical characteristics of fish pond water in Ughelli, Delta State, Nigeria, . Int. J. Cur. Res., 8, 82-87.
- CIFE, (1997)., Training Manual on Recent Advances in Management of Water Quality Parameters in Aquaculture., Central Institute of Fisheries Education, ICAR, Versoa, Mumbai.